Adding a drain plug to a ZF 6 speed auto

El Andrew

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 5d

During upcoming holidays, I'm planning to service the ZF and fit my trans cooler. To make the drain and refill processor quicker and easier now and in the future, I'm planning to add a drain plug to the steel pan.

Has anyone done this? I'm thinking it is as easier as removing the pan, drilling a hole (giving consideration to ground clearance) and welding on say a steel wideband bung.

Any thoughts or experiences?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

@El Andrew rather than welding a bung on the outside, why not weld it inside the pan?

You could still use a wb02 fitting if you wanted to and use a allen keyed blank plug that they come with. You could also get a bigger fitting from ebay to save driving to pick one up and it'd drain quicker too. 

Edit: there's probably some type of fitting designed specifically for this that seals up nicely too.

Edited by Puffwagon
Just cos

• Gold Donating Members

Thanks for that. It is a good point - ain't nobody got time for a smashed off drain bung.

I had a quick look earlier for something specific with no luck but will search properly later. If not O2 should do - gives me time to fit my injectors while I wait for it to drain!

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I had a look around and I also sussed out the 6r80 steel pan I've got. 

It looks like you could weld a drain off the side of the pan at the front.

If you did weld something inside it you'd need to weld it in then cut a slot in it to let the oil drain completely out. 

I just googled it and there is a bunch of different fittings that would do the job.

What about that ezdrain joint or whatever they're called? They might have something. 

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d
  • Gold Donating Members

Thanks guys.

Yep got a mech sleeve ready to go, from reading a post of yours in another thread Arron!

Ended up buying the pan with the drain. With a discount code is was about $165 and includes the drain, filter and gasket - all of which I would need to buy.

Last night I was like nah, I can just buy one and weld it. This morning I was more like let's go the easy option.

Plus some plastic sumped chump might buy my current steel pan.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
22 minutes ago, El Andrew said:

some plastic sumped chump might buy my current steel pan.

Clean it perfectly, weld a drain onto it, give it a lick of paint and flog it off for a few hundred. Alternatively send it to me for a xmas prezzie as I'm a plastic sumped super chump :panda: