Oil for motor with basic mods

Zlat347

• Member For: 5y 11m 26d

Hi all,

Have put stage one cams, valve springs, head studs, oil pump gears in FG motor, I used 5-40w and have a slight ticking noise uptop. Motor hasnt been started for about 12 momonths. 

I know 10-40w is more suited, would the 5-40w be to thin and cause some noise? 

Will be changing to 10-40 ten tenths during the week sometime

Thanks

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 17d

If you haven't started it for 12 months then it'll make lifter noise, possibly for quite a while. I recently started a car after 12 months or so and it had all kinds of lifter noise.

As far as changing the oil grade goes you'll need to work that out yourself. It's a piece of piss to swap the oil out and see the difference. It's unlikely that the oil is causing lifter noise unless there is stuff all pressure. Check it.

A set of lifters is only $200 to $350ish depending on the supplier so chuck a new set in if the noise doesn't clear up. Should have chucked them in when the cams were out but whatever. There are head specs to check too, grab a manual and see what's up if you're keen.

There are other things but that's most of what I reckon for now.

Thanks for your response.

I figured there would have to be some sort of sounds after that long.

Oil pressure sits on about 55psi at idle on cold start. 

Getting it tunned next week, hopefully some dyno time will get it going noise free haha

Cheers 

On 02/12/2018 at 8:30 PM, Puffwagon said:

If you haven't started it for 12 months then it'll make lifter noise, possibly for quite a while. I recently started a car after 12 months or so and it had all kinds of lifter noise.

As far as changing the oil grade goes you'll need to work that out yourself. It's a piece of piss to swap the oil out and see the difference. It's unlikely that the oil is causing lifter noise unless there is stuff all pressure. Check it.

A set of lifters is only $200 to $350ish depending on the supplier so chuck a new set in if the noise doesn't clear up. Should have chucked them in when the cams were out but whatever. There are head specs to check too, grab a manual and see what's up if you're keen.

There are other things but that's most of what I reckon for now.

Done a comp test:

1: 179

2: 180

3: 179

4: 180

5: 181

6: 180

Do you think its worthwhile doing a leakdown test aswel as the motors been sitting for a while? 

Out of curiosity, if there was a slightly bent rod, as the piston doesnt level the deck, would a cylinder give more or less compression? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 6d

less compression in that scenario.

those numbers are great :) the motor is looking fairly healthy there. Just check on the lifter noise, as Puff said, and then go from there.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 17d

Seems fine. Change the oil and filter if it hasn't been done for a year and leave it at that.

There's nothing wrong with doing a leakdown test or whatever else you want to check, but it's not something I'd do in this situation if I had to pay for it.