Engine light

TOPC

• Member For: 5y 4m 28d

Hi all 

I’ve just dropped 2k on a major service triggered by my engine light coming on ... I’ve now taken it back 3 times and again tomorrow because ITS BACK ON ! Has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it ... they have no idea now and it’s drivibg me crazy ? 

Yes so far it’s been brake lights and throddle and each time they’re fixing something I drive away and 2 days of bliss and boom engine light ... TBH they’ve reset everything and the idle timing and I still feel like it’s running slightly rough ... but they’ve changed everything and done the plugs new filters etc ... battery is also on the way out I’m keeping my jump pack in the boot now .. I wonder maybe it’s that ? But not sure why engine light would been alerting emissions ( not flashing just on constant)  so frustrating ... 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1d

What is your car?

So is the light actuallu because off an emissions error code? The light can be caused by a huge range of things - emissions, sensors out of range, misfires, and so on.

Some errors are time dependent and only trigger the light if they are present for a period of time. This means if your mechanic clears the codes with a scan tool the light goes off and you think it's all fixed. But if the underlying issue is still there, the light comes on again after a couple of days.

Bottom line - you absolutely need to know what error codes are stored that are triggering the light. If you don't have an OBD scan tool, swing past any mechanic or Auto electrician and they will scan it for you.

These cars can do a range of weird things without a decent battery. If your battery is stuffed definitely replace it, even if it turns out to be unrelated to your other issues. No point trying to fix a tricky issue when something fundamental is clouding it.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

• Thanks 1

They’re saying fuel surge valve as all the vacuum seals are in place and no cracks in fuel cap ... frustrating as I mentioned it was an emissions warning when I dropped it in first time but finally error code came back with the surge valve $280 starting price but they’re not even sure it’s that so I can hear the cash register Ching changing ... just want my beast back purrring again 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1d

I would seriously try another battery (even if you borrow from another car) and find out exactly what codes are being triggered before signing up to spend any more money.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Allrighty so fuel valve AND monster battery so far has done the trick .  ... don’t want to jinx it though so I’m not gonna say it’s fixed but so far LIGHT IS OFF and she’s driving nicely again no lag less fuel nice n tight ??