ZF and BTR wiring diagrams and info needed.

Mustangman570

• Member For: 10y 6m 22d

I'm in america working to spread the joy of the Barra to the world. I am working on a standalone ECU for the barra that is more affordable than the Haltech (about half the price). Let me start by saying I LOVE the Haltech, but it is not in my budget and I think I'm not alone. I need some help with this venture. I have already worked out the engine control part of the equation, but nobody want an ecu that will only run their engine and not their automatic transmission. If I cant figure out the ZF transmission control I will be offering an ECU for the 4 speed auto and manual transmissions.

I need wiring diagrams and connector pinouts for the 4 speed automatic transmission (I believe its called the BTR) that comes with the BA/BF Falcon. I also need the wiring diagrams and connector pinouts for the ZF 6 speed automatic transmission. 

I have found very information on the ZF transmissions wiring and controls. I have heard people mention in several threads that the ZF has an internal transmission control unit built into the valve body. Does anyone have details on this? If that is true the wiring would be simple, and probably use the CAN/BUS system to communicate with the ECU. 

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 19d

This place does shift controllers and might make something to suit a turbo zf application if you asked them.

If you are thinking about designing hardware then perhaps have a think about designing a daughterboard or something to make the stock pcm live tunable. The stock pcm controls the engine and transmission so you'd only need the stock parts plus whatever mods are needed.

Have a chat to the guys at PCMtec as they might have ideas about this. They might license you their transmission control software as I'm fairly sure they are the only people in the world that have worked out the code.

• Member For: 10y 6m 22d

Tell that to the d-bags on the Facebook Barra pages. My god all ive heard is "stock ecu is ::insert pointless comment here:::" I finally gave up after posting this "I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE STOCK COMPUTER. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING ABOUT THE VIRTUES OF THE STOCK COMPUTER. JUST ASSUME THAT I AM NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED TO OWN A STOCK COMPUTER. OR I'M ALLERGIC TO THE STOCK COMPUTER. OR ASSUME THAT THE STOCK COMPUTER TOUCHED ME INAPPROPRIATELY AS A CHILD."

I should have expected crap responses on the cesspool that is Facebook.

I really appreciate your help.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 9y 10m 10d
On 17/11/2018 at 1:34 AM, Mustangman570 said:

Tell that to the d-bags on the Facebook Barra pages. My god all ive heard is "stock ecu is ::insert pointless comment here:::" I finally gave up after posting this "I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THE STOCK COMPUTER. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN HEARING ABOUT THE VIRTUES OF THE STOCK COMPUTER. JUST ASSUME THAT I AM NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED TO OWN A STOCK COMPUTER. OR I'M ALLERGIC TO THE STOCK COMPUTER. OR ASSUME THAT THE STOCK COMPUTER TOUCHED ME INAPPROPRIATELY AS A CHILD."

I should have expected crap responses on the cesspool that is Facebook.

I really appreciate your help.

The stock ecu can do everything you want and more. 

Ford spent millions on R&D and people somehow think some aftermarket company can do better. 

The reality is no pcm other than the stock one can control the ZF properly and I doubt this will change over the next 10 years. 

Your best bet is to get a fully stock PCM and tcm harness and wire everything up as factory with pats disabled. Read this for more details. 

https://forum.pcmtec.com/index.php?/topic/32-howto-run-pcm-standalone-eg-engine-swap-pats-disable-and-speed-source-setup/

Edited by rollex

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
46 minutes ago, rollex said:

The reality is no pcm other than the stock one can control the ZF properly

That's not true mate. What about haltech? :stirthepot:

Never say never ;)

• Member For: 9y 10m 10d

That is why I said properly. Have you tried it out? It is a step backwards from stock, and no surprises as it is extremely challenging to try and replicate what the pcm tells it over can bus.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

No I haven't.

I also hold the same view as you for the same or similar reasons.

It helps to keep an open mind though and I like to play the devils advocate.