Xr6 turbo engine conversion, Barra GU (Patrol)

• Member For: 5y 4m 15d

Hi All,

First time forum user and first time poster.

Just thought I would share with you my pride and joy l.

Her name is Pretty Penny and she is a 98 series 1 Nissan GU Patrol with a fully rebuilt 10/06 bf mk2 xr6 turbo engine.

I do not really know much about these engines and had never even been in an xr6turbo before I was purchasing the engine. It wasnt till the guy I bought the engine off took me for a drive in his stock vehicle so I can see that the motor was ok before purchasing...

Anyway looking forward to learning alot more about these engines as I am attempting to push the boundaries with what I can do with this beast of a rig.

So far I have toured through the victorian high country on numerous occasions and have even jumped on the spirit of tassie and tackled the wild west coast of tasmania in easter whilst avoiding the bitumen for the entirety of the trip.

I had a lot of 4wd people tell me diesel is the way to go for a 4wd but for those ignarnt enough to think this I beg the to jump in a barra powered patrol and tell me whether they still think that.

The problem I have though is this.

Given I dont know much about them I am hoping to hear from you lot on what you think my engine should safely produce to the wheels (stock 31s) with the mods I have done.

Forged carillo pistons 

Argo rod

Billet oil pump gears

Valve springs

Atomic chain kit

1000cc injectors

Crow cams

Standard bf turbo (not sure what hp they are rated too) 

Turbo flapper mod

Standard new wastegate with upgraded spring (no idea what it is)

Front mount intercooler 

Airbox

Tune (remap)

460 in tank walbro

There may be a few more mods I have mised but its also paired up to a fully rebuilt fully manualised RE4 Auto rated to 1000hp which is paired up to a bm stealth pro ratchet shifter....

Can anyone advise to me what power they think I am capable of pulling to the wheels in (rwkw) on 98 pump fuel and what they think I can pull on e85 if I went flex fuel...

Also not looking at upgrading turbo so what power to the wheels should my turbo be able to produce and will my engine and 98 pump fuel cope/acheive  it ?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

Hey mate.... Georgie?

No I don't 'know' you but I did a lot of digging online a couple months back - read through your thread on 4x4earth.com and elsewhere...love the build!!

Reason being my younger brother is looking at buying his mate's maverick with turbo E series 4.0L (been sitting in our yard at work for 6+ months now) - you might've come across the original owner's thread, dazzle or da22le I think his user name is/was - fabricator guy. I may send you a pm if that's ok rather than clog this thread up.

RE your query, others will chime in but I've also got 1000cc injectors, 460 intank fuel pump, valve springs and BA/BF turbo with mods, making just over 400rwkw through a 6 speed manual.

Apart from valve springs, stock FG motor - no pump gears or timing kit either.

The 31s and RE4 will obviously rob a certain amount of power - someone else may have a better idea of how much - but I would've thought an experienced barra tuner could push your current setup to 375~400rwkw on 98, assuming there is decent airflow and intercooler is up to the task.

Your fuel pump setup will definitely be the bottleneck if you go e85, with a surge tank and pump you could push the current turbo to the limit (anywhere between 450~475rwkw in a falcon on e85, depending on who you ask ;))

@Ralph Wiggum doesn't log on here as much as he used to, but he's done a barra swap into a patrol I believe, and has a lot of experience with barras in general

Edit

Was going to post the link for your thread - nice intake upgrade btw! - but I'll leave that to you

Edited by camo86T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Member For: 5y 4m 15d

Hi Mate , yes this me ,

I didnt think I would jump on another forum and have someone recognise my build or vehicle so feeling quite suprised actually.

Yes the rig has its on full documented build thread for anyone that wants to look at it in more depth on 4x4earth link here. https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/400rwkw-xr6-turbo-engine-conversion-gu-patrol-georgies-twin-locked-gu-patrol.40244/

Thanking you for the reply.

At the moment I have oil in my 2nd and 3rd coil packs and the car wont start as I had to get it towed out of the bush the other week due to it being turned off then not starting again for an unknown reason.

You can check the full recovery ig that kinda stuff interests you here 

I also have its own instagram page and do follow a lot of great powerful xr6 turbos too check out @barra_gu