Quick tyre question

joffa1

• Member For: 6y 8m 16d

Hi guys quick one

have Factory 19 inch rims on my FG XR6T Ute,

running Kumho 245/35/R19s on front wheels

destroyed one of my rear tyres the other day but both rear were pretty low on tread anyway so going to replace rears (still plenty of tread on the fronts). 

My question is is can I run a wider and slightly higher profile tyre on the rears?

have a good deal on some Hankooks 275/40/R19s 

so basically just want to know if it’s ok to have a 40 profile on the rear and a 35 on the fronts and if I can go this wide also?

thanks for any advice!

Sorry my bad!

245/35 on the fronts

I guess I’m hoping to go wider for more grip and a higher profile to smooth out the ride a little if that helps?

with a view to going a higher profile up front once they wear out too. 

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

You don't want to be running 275/40/19 up the back then, rears will be nearly 50mm bigger diameter.

Plenty of conflicting info out there you can google, but I wouldn't be using tyres more than say 2% difference in diameter front/rear.

275 is way too wide for the factory rims anyway which if I remember correctly are only 8.0" - 245 is max 'recommended' width for an 8" rim, you could probably go to a 255 without too many dramas.... @arronm?? 

Best way to 'smooth out your ride' would be to go to an 18" wheel but probably not what you want to do.

Jump on http://willtheyfit.com and play around with your options, personally I'd be sticking with the 245/35 (or go to a 255 if it fits ok - some tyre brands are wider/narrower than others even size for size) or go 245/40 all round, or get different (ie. wider) rims and run wider tyres.

Check out http://tyresales.com.au and https://tyres.supercheapauto.com.au or your local tyre guy and see what's out there, read reviews, use the search bar on here and make your decision.

Edited by camo86T

I actually looked at going down to 17 or 18 rims and running a higher profile tyre. Had a nice set with good tyres lined up but bloke sold them before I got there. Still keeping an eye out. 

Ok so 255 width on rear should be ok. What about a slightly higher profile. I.e. 40 on rear and keep the 35 up front? I would imagine this would be ok?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

it's all about sidewall and associated flex. it's hard to get good sidewall on 19's/20's but is definitely do-able on 18's and smaller.