Quick tyre question

joffa1

• Member For: 6y 8m 16d

The 17s are too junk so keeping the 19s for now.

Given that does anyone have a definitive answer on whether it’s ok to run a 245/40/19 or even a 245/45/19 on the rears and a 245/35/19 on the fronts? Once the fronts wear out I will replace them with exact same tyres as the rears.

dont want to drive around on the spare much longer so would love a definitive answer. Thanks. 

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

Go the willtheyfit website I posted a link to earlier and enter the different sizes you've mentioned. You'll find that the 245/40/19 is about 25mm or 3.6% bigger than the 245/35, while the 245/45 is nearly 50mm larger diameter or around 7%.

The "acceptable" size difference  will depend on who you ask but above 3% is generally considered a no-no due to potential ABS issues.

• Member For: 6y 8m 16d

Yeah I took a look at that and saw that the mm difference for the 245/40 profile is more than I thought. All good sticking with same profiles for now. Will look to change all 4 tyres and possibly rims at same time down the track. Thanks for your help. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Width wise there is fark all in it and depending on the tyre manufacturer there could be a lot less difference than 10mm of tread on the road. Tyre quality will play a much larger factor in getting grip.

Cheap tyres= short life with some grip (semi slicks) or slightly longer life with poor grip. The sidewalls generally suck arse with cheap tyres too.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I dunno as I haven't used them but they are a $100 tyre so I wouldn't put much faith in them based off that. They might be fine though.

Most tyres should be fine for a stock car anyway. I was just pointing out before that quality is more important than a small size difference on paper.