Turbosmart wastegate issues(over boost)

Camsta97

• Member For: 5y 10m 16d

Alright, so this morning I've ripped the manifold and turbo back off, set the compressor to 1 bar of boost and the mf barely opens, not sure if the regs is I <3 Bananased or what. But I've now pulled the wastegate apart and I was presented with this 

Is it supposed to have 2 springs in their? And am I able to remove one to get it to open earlier or? I've booght this second hand off a mate and when I feed it with full pressure air from the compressor it opens up alot? And ideas 

20181107-114851.jpg

Edited by Camsta97

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Here is a chart to work out what springs to use. It looks like yours could be set up for 14 psi.

http://www.turbosmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IWG_springchart.pdf

Edit: You can remove or add springs as you like.

Edited by Puffwagon

Alright, the bigger spring is 62mm long and the smaller is roughly 38, would you wreckon removing the smaller or larger spring or the smaller one and adjusting it up with a boost T? 

Also il attach a photo of the maximum opened wastegate with just the smaller spring in I'm. Wondering if this will be sufficient travel to maintain the boost level I need

20181107-121145.jpg

Edited by k31th
fixed pic

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

The springs are colour coded. The outer spring looks to be a 7psi spring which is pretty well close enough to the 10 psi tune you have in it. You can just bleed a bit off to get it to 10psi.

You'll just have to have a play with it and see what works. I'd remove the inner spring myself and see how that goes.

I'll go and open up my 12psi actuator and see what's in it so we've got something to compare it to. Gimme a few minutes.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Mine has a brown inner and a purple middle which is what the spring chart recommends for 12psi.

It's possible that they came with a 7psi outer instead of a 7psi middle spring in some cases.

You'll just have to work with what you've got with a bit of common sense and see how ya go.

Yeah Ive removed the inner, ran just the 7psi outer, pre loaded it to the point where I could just spin the flap, put it all back on and discovered coolant eats through boost line, so I've gone and got some 12bar rated fuel hose ?, put it all back together and took it for a drive and bingo hit 7 psi and spiked to about 7.5, so I'm cheering it's fixed, just gotta wait a few days to get the boost T then off to tgr tuners, happy days thanks for all your help wouldn't have been able to do it without ya

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

So it might have been a busted vacuum line all along ay? Must have happened when you swapped it all over the first time then?!

At least you've got it sorted out now and you can drive around without worrying about it running too much boost.

You can always add the other spring later if you think it needs it to help spool.

Give us an update when you get it tuned mate.

Little update, Got the car back from the tuner this arvo, its running beautifully with the 1000cc injectors, boost control is perfect, its currently making 380hp at 12 psi through the NA auto btr, unfortunately it does need valve springs to proceed any further power wise, inter cooler is also suffering from some minor heatsoak, aswell as the na gearbox isn't enjoying it too much as its slightly slipping when using trip tronic, I've sourced a turbo btr to put in, and hopefully get the valve springs sorted by jan next year, pretty happy with the car the way it is atm though, alot more pokey

• Like 2