Help please

• Member For: 5y 5m 19d

Hi sorry Ive driven Expensive Daewoo V8s since I got my licance years ago but decided to buy a ba XR6 turbo a few months ago 

I got the car of some bloke who told me he had done forged internals and I only had to worry about bolt on mods the car was running over 15 pounds and within 2 months of driving it I was hooked most intence thing I've ever driven untill I Hird a loud bang with bent the rods smashed the head snapped the crank and left little peace's of piston threw out the whole engine. My question is do I get a spool forged kit or bolt a egas engine bottom end on a turbo head which everyone keeps telling me to do? I know I'm a dickhead for not asking for evadence of the bloke buying the parts he said he put in the engine but after the test drive not getting tracshion in every gear I had to buy the car

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

snapped the crank, too... impressive. :Welcome2FordXR6t: :useless:

also, in answer to your question, a spool forged kit is the cheapest way to ridiculous horsepower... but if you just want to run 15 pounds, you can build a N/A or egas motor, if you want to purchase parts separately to rebuild the engine, that's more work for you, but significantly cheaper.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

If you buy or use something with a significantly higher comp ratio you will need a tune.

You could drop in a bf gas motor and get it tuned. That should only set you back about $1500 to $2000 all up.

If you are talking about using a spool kit then you may as well drop your car off at the shop with an open cheque book and ask them to fix it. This is only something you would consider with a fully built motor and driveline with all the bolt ons.

22 minutes ago, k31th said:

a spool forged kit is the cheapest way to ridiculous horsepower

Not quite the cheapest mate. There is nothing wrong with using a stock crank with $3k worth of rods and pistons to belt out over 1000hp all day every day.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

well, you're right that it's not the "cheapest"... but it's the "cheapest" if you want to go down a pathway that requires the least amount of expertise and time/effort, is what I was alluding to.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

I don't agree, as the block still needs measuring and machining with a brand new crank, especially as you will be using main studs with a high hp build. The spool rotating assembly still needs checking, balancing, resizing etc before you fit it.

Basically whatever you are going to do to a motor with a spool crank, you will be doing to a motor with a stock crank. By this fact alone the spool kit is more expensive as a stock crank is pretty much free before machining. Just because stuff is new doesn't mean you can just slap it in and have it fit properly. Whether you build a stock motor or a high hp motor, they both still need to be assembled properly with the same degree of precision and care if you want them to last.

The spool kit has it's place but being a cheap option for high horsepower isn't it.

• Like 2