Ba mkii needs a tune

Toxic666

• Member For: 5y 4m 24d

Gday guys, but of a novice and been giving it all a go on my own I have a mark2 ba I've been playing with so far I've put bosch 1000cc injectors big cooler walbro 460 pump and 12psi wastegate I'm looking for a tune to do myself learning toward the sct x4 I've never used one and would like some info on tunes any help much appreciated fellas! Where would I get a mail order tune? I understand the tunes arnt great but I have a f6 motor to be put in after

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

well, sct won't sell you a license to tune unless you're a workshop, so an xcal is out of the question.

hptuners or pcmtec will sell you one, though.

but be warned, it's a long and painful road to become competent at tuning your own falcon

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

This is not really the right forum to learn about tuning. You'll need to find a tuning forum such as sct or hp tuners or pcmtec etc.

That aside there are quite a few people here that can help guide you to make the right choices etc.

One thing I would not want to do is get a "mail order tune" with the mods you have suggested. It just would not be safe enough imho.

2 minutes ago, k31th said:

be warned, it's a long and painful road to become competent at tuning your own falcon

I helped @NA_TURBO learn how to tune and it probably only took a couple of months for him to not need my help. Even after a couple of weeks of him purchasing hp tuners, he had a better tune in his car than the workshop had done for a considerable cost. He's a pretty smart dude though and picked it up quite quickly and I spose I'm ok at teaching too ;)

OP if you wanna learn how to tune then you wanna research what afr the car needs under various conditions, you need to learn how to scale injectors and you need to understand what effect timing has on the car in relation to afr, boost, air temp, rpm etc. This will get you started on the basics. You'll have to get reading mate, there is no easy way around it even with extensive tuition.

You'll also need some tuning tools such as a wideband, some type of tuning/logging system and some type of knock detection device. This will be a couple of grand minimum to get started. It will help to have a mate handy to watch the afr etc.

Good luck mate.

• Member For: 8y 5m 19d

@Puffwagon you're a pretty good teacher!

It takes a lot of reading and learning to be able to tune your own car, but it is worth it in the end. I've got a folder I've written down everything I've learn from Puff and from the forums from reading. You'll need a wideband, I have an AEM wideband permanently mounted in my car which I'm about to get the cable to hook up to HP tuners so I can log afrs.

I don't have a Knock detection device but I would highly recommend getting something! With the tune that was on mine, you could hear the knock inside the car! My engine is forged so will handle a bit more abuse.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...