Fuel system advice required

• Member For: 5y 10m 29d

Hey guys, just after some advice on future upgrades. So I have 08 bf series 2 xr6 turbo with 4” dump, x force exhaust and cat delete, pod air filter,Turbosmart external wastegate actuator. Car is running 15 psi on boost gauge and was apparently tuned. Has standard fuel pump and injectors and standard intercooler. If I put my foot flat to the floor it will loose power and backfire which is I’m guessing the engine leaning out??? I am about to purchase the following please advise it these will suit before a tune??deka 80lb 850cc injectors, walbro 460lph fuel pump kit and a 4 bar factory fuel regulator upgrade. Thoughts please 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 7d

If it's making 15psi on stock injectors and fuel pump, it's surely leaning out. This can happen with overboost scenario's without actually being tuned after upgrading the exhaust like that. I wouldn't be putting my foot flat to the floor until you're sure it's actually properly tuned to suit the mods.

Those mods are fine except two caveats.

1. The injectors may be difficult to tune for your tuner, so find out whether he is OK with using them.

2. The stock charge-air-cooling system won't handle the modifications. You'll make power once or twice, but then it'll heat-soak and you'll be massively down on power compared to the previous one or two pulls.

• Member For: 5y 10m 29d

Yeah I have rarely put my foot flat because of this. I am picking up a second hand high flow cat today and also a 600x300x80 intercooler.I just had a tinker and looks like hose going to actuator May have been a little loose on the actuator so I cut the end of a refitted it tightly so may have been that also not reading correct boost.

Is a fuel pump and regulator required for these mods or can I just fit injectors and have car retuned??? I believe my tuner uses HP tuners program 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

A fuel pump, certainly, is required. A regulator, not so much. You definitely need injectors haha. HP tuners will do the job.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

get your tuner to install the injectors as the car will hardly run after you install them.

ask your tuner what his conservative aim would be for the current setup of your car and the associated mods you go with.

• 1 year later...