Are you using Meth?

3Katz

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 2m 15d

Hi,

I have installed Snow Performance water/meth injection on my RTV with XR6 Turbo conversion.

The reason I have installed it is because I don't want to install a larger than stock intercooler and I am using it to cool the intake charge. When I get it tuned again (currently 260kw with 2nd gear pulls, have since installed decent driveshaft and boost controller) it will be tuned without taking the water/meth into account so if I have a failure with the kit I don't toast my engine. At the moment I am just running straight water, once I have it tuned and switch the kit on what can I expect if I were to do 50/50 water meth instead? I imagine it will then be running rich with the extra fuel, will this be a problem? Flames out exhaust? Could I expect my intake charge to be significantly cooler? I would like to take it to the strip for a laugh so would do meth if it could be an advantage. What do you think?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

With a stock cooler, lowish boost and not tuning for extra fuel I think there won't be much difference in power. If the air temps were the same on back to back runs, I'd expect to see the power drop slightly,  providing the initial tune wasn't too lean. 

It'll be more consistant when you're flogging it though, or on a really hot day. 

It really depends how rich it gets. It could just fall on its face if you add to much extra fuel. 

There won't be flames if there aren't already. 

Get it tuned with pcmtec and use the flex signal to swap maps based upon if the water/meth system is working/operating or not.

• Donating Members

Thanks for your answer, I think it kind of confirms what I was thinking - to increase the power or see any real benefit you need to tune with the system switched on and pull fuel as required. My kit is very basic, I can't tell if I have a blocked jet or ruptured line so I think I'll just stick to water and use it for cooling only. I'm super happy with the kit, it works well I can't see iat but have noticed cooler exhaust temps. I reckon it was comparable on price to a decent cooler and both easier and quicker to install. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

I was watching the toobs and I thought that this would be an interesting watch, regarding methanol. If the link doesn't work properly, the methanol part starts at 2 minutes in.

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 22d
On 10/19/2018 at 4:24 PM, 3Katz said:

I would like to take it to the strip for a laugh so would do meth if it could be an advantage. What do you think?

could very well be an advantage as it might make you more focused.

• Haha 3

• Donating Members

Haha! :shocked:  kind of opposite to your avatar right? :yikes:

3 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

I was watching the toobs and I thought that this would be an interesting watch, regarding methanol. If the link doesn't work properly, the methanol part starts at 2 minutes in.

A very good explanation. If my engine could safely handle more grunt I think I would be looking at going further with a decent controller and tuning to suit. Thanks for the link

Edited by 3Katz
Edit