Modding

LucasFGMK2F6

• Member For: 5y 5m 12d

Hey guys!

Got $5k to spend on my FG MK2 F6, was thinking a tune and catback exhaust for $2300, new intercooler, injectors and a modified air intake, how much power would I see? Is there anything else needed? Is there any better options?

The catback is a must as the exhaust is cracked.

Ok, how much extra do you think a cat would cost?

I've read people running 400kw with just a catback exhaust.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

I've never heard of a car running anywhere near that with only a catback.

to buy a cat is a coupla hundred or so...

... or extremely cheap if you're willing to just remove the contents (this is very illegal).

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

400rwkw is about the area you start fatiguing driveline components... so if you think that's only a small amount, you're in for a surprise. 400rwkw is a mid 10sec car, if setup correctly.

since the cat is the restriction, if you "un-restrict" the cat (by replacing with a better one or other methods), then you can probably make 400rwkw on a reasonable cat-back replacement.

The stock turbo is going to max out around the high 300's unless you tune it on E85. If you tune it on E85 you may as well upgrade the turbo and fuel system, then you're looking at major driveline risk at 450+ haha, it never ends. Anything past about 350rwkw starts getting expensive, especially if you take it to the drag-strip with slick tyres.

• Member For: 5y 5m 12d

Oh ok, I'd hit 400kw with those sort of mods? I'd definetly talk to my tuner if I can un-restrict it, most people are running 400rwkw or under on a stock FG F6 turbo as my tuner has also told me, above 400 it will definetly need to be replaced I was told, it'll just be a street car, run a time and see what I get.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Without a turbo replacement, you'll be pushing the stock turbo really hard to hit 400rwkw. Your tuner is right. Ask your tuner what you think you'll get with the mods you listed and make that a conservative aim, assuming the car is in good enough condition to produce the power :)