Tcm issue

Roley94

• Member For: 11y 19d

I recently picked up a ba Ute that has had a zf conversion, the Ute has a bf 6 speed engine loom, bf abs module and bf ecu but I’m unsure if they are all from the same donor car. Not sure about the cluster and other modules if they are the original ba units or replaced with bf modules. The problem I’m having is the tcm doesn’t seem to want to talk to the ecu, I’m getting a p0701 code tcm out of range and other can bus errors. I still have all 6 gears and the car drives fine most of the time but sometimes it will change itself  to 4th and be stuck there until I turn the car off and on again. The gear indicator on the dash is constantly flashing and the box will slip in 3rd, 4th and 5th and sometimes slam into 4th. When it slips in 5th it will change by itself into 6th while still in manual mode. 

The previous owner had the zf rebuilt 3 times until it was realised that something else other than the power level was killing the box. It’s a stage 2 xft box and should be up to the task of handling the power. 

Could there be some module that isn’t quite compatible with something in the car and causing the tcm to freak out? The flashing gear indicator seems to be a limp mode thing but I always have 6 gears. I get 5 long beeps about a minute after starting the car which come back every 10 minutes or so, this could be related to the oil pressure sensor which isn’t hooked up because when it is the oil light is constantly on. I’ve heard there can be issues with the oil pressure sensor on conversions. 

Would anyone have any idea what’s causing these problems or what to check? Could it be as simple as a module that needs reprogramming or pairing to the ecu? 

Thanks 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I'm pretty sure I linked some workshop level zf stuff for another guy who pinched his wiring harness and destroyed a trans seal.

It looked like a trans failed to initialize issue but was actually a stuffed seal.

I'm not sure where it'll be though, you'd have to search for it. Maybe someone will remember and link it.

• Member For: 11y 19d

I found this pdf which explains how the obd2 system works http://www.fordservicecontent.com/ford_content/catalog/motorcraft/OBDSM1105.pdf

There is a section on the zf and it explains how the tcm runs its tests and detects faults. It explians the P0701 code - If the diagnostic software tries to enter two contradictory failure mode strategies or if there are contradictory output states commanded versus the expected output states, a P0701 fault is stored.

Still not quite sure what that means, could be a faulty tcm. I have a few spare tcms so I might try swapping it out along with the solenoids and doing a module reprogram and see what happens.