Oil at throttle body

rscort

• Member For: 5y 5m 20d

Hey team, just bought my first xr6t. I got a 03 ba ute. The guy I bought it off said that it boggs when at high rpm under boost, he thought it was probably a dirty tps or something of that nature. Sure enough when you get on it in the high rpms as it goes to change gears the car boggs and won't boost. I have gone ahead to clean the throttle body and found oil in the intake manifold and in the throttle body too. I had a look at the turbo as well and was oil there too. Anybody got any idea what my problem might be? Hope I haven't bought a lemon. Cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

It's totally normal for a small amount of oil to be in the turbo compressor housing (air intake section), a small amount to be in/around the throttle and intake manifold.

If it's only breaking down at high loads, it's likely to be coil packs that are the issue

It could be a number of other things and without having the car nearby to see it, it's hard to diagnose based on your description.

is it tuned? any mods?

As far as I know its completely stock. I was told that the coil packs in it are quite new. I also have a fair amount of coolant coming from somewhere above the trans. Would this be a leaky heatercore or something along those line? Cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

"new" coil packs could also be an issue if they are not OEM replacement ones. Could also be spark plugs as they're in the same system as the coil packs.

OK, if you have coolant coming from somewhere, is there an obvious leak? how often is the overflow bottle depleting to below the "low" line? There are lines that go behind the head of the motor to the heater, which may or may not be leaking.

If it's leaking in the cabin, it'll be obvious as your carpet will get wet and the smell will be powerful.

If it's leaking in the engine bay, it should leave dried coolant (white splotches) on anything that warms up then cools again (e.g. the engine block, firewall, transmission etc) and it's a good idea to clean it off then take it for a short drive or run it for a short amount of time to track down where it's specifically leaking then take pics etc so we can advise you on what to fix there.

I believe I have found the source of the coolant leak. I seems to be coming from this yellow thing directly above the trans. I have attached a picture. Anyone know what this is and how I can fix it?

43555435_335976280296174_1813663942052937728_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&oh=fe9f032368666fcaf6f68228bb5d241f&oe=5C5182AF

The drip from what ever that is is very consistent. The car hasn't run for about 21hours however it doesn't look like it's gonna stop any time soon. Also to note the passengers side floor is dry and there doesn't appear to be any water getting into the cabin.