Suspension upgrade options and choice?

D4N

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 7m 16d

Hi All,

I recently purchased a low kilometre 2014 FG MKII (octane). I would like to start my journey with the aesthetics of the vehicle whilst I get a better understanding of the sort of mechanical modifications would suit me best. The vehicle only has 13,000 on the clock. I don’t plan on tracking it or dragging. It is a car I wanted when I was younger and the need for a second family car created an opportunity.

I would like to lower the vehicle by 30 odd mm to improve its stance. After reviewing the many threads here, it seems that King Springs SSL on front and rear, or SSL front and SSSL rear, is a popular choice.

From my reading, it seems the following options are available.

1.      Fit SSL/SSL or SSL/SSSL and run the stock shocks until they fail then replace them. I use the car to transport my 2.5 year old and 18 week old once a week or so. So I am not keen on this if handling performance (safety) is compromised.

2.      Fit SSL/SSL or SSL/SSSL with suitable shocks such as Bilstein (or other recommendations)?

3.      Coilovers such as XYZ or ShockWorks (recommend one or the other?).

I currently like the softness of the ride although it is a little ‘boaty’. I plan on whiteline sway bars to fix this. Having said that, I don’t want a harsh ride but understand there will be a trade-off.  

Given I will only be driving around town with the occasional trip to Dubbo or Bathurst (I live in Orange), can you make a recommendation? I suspect there will be people suggesting going straight to ShockWorks. Is this overkill? But if it isn't, I am happy with that. 

Are the Bilstein the recommended shock for this application? Or are there other brands that have caught up in recent years? 

I know there is a wealth of knowledge in the past forum pages, but this particular or similar questions haven't been answered in the last 8-10 years. I have also been to a suspension shop and they just don't have the experience of driving these cars day-in day-out for years. The one I went to wasn't aware of ShockWorks. 

Thanks in advance, 

DAN

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

1. You can run kings with stock shocks for a while, but they're quite an uncomfortable ride in comparison to stock as you're overloading the stock shock a bit.

2. Bilstein or Koni are both great options to go with kings, especially if you know how much stiffness/rebound you want and how much you want to actually lower the car.

3. Heaps of brands of coilovers. Only do this if you want the adjustability aspect, imho, as they're quite expensive.

The place to go for a quality opinion on this sort of stuff used to be wholesale suspension, but have no idea since they stopped posting on this forum :idunno:

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 7m 16d

Thanks K31th, I appreciate the advice. Especially with regard to the coilovers. 

A quick look on the internet puts the Bilsteins at $1000 and the king springs at $300. In comparison, the xyz coilovers are $1,450. 

Given they are relatively similar in price, and the Bilsteins are at one end in terms of quality and the xyz are at the cheaper end of coilovers, which would you go with? 

• Member For: 6y 11m 17d

Just go superlow Kings, don't use standard shocks unless you want them in your engine bay or your strut towers bent. I have superlow with monroe GT its decent. Would go Bilstein if I had the choice, check out koni and KYB as well, from memory KYB was a bit softer, different car though. Make sure you get short bump stops front and rear and a 27mm front swaybar. Standard rear bar is fine for lowered springs

Coilovers pain to set up and every change needs an alignment $$$ unless your into that...

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 27d

A lot of people rate the KYBs as a good upgrade and cost effective. Meant to last longer than Monroe. Had them on my BA but only did another 20k before I got rid of the car, so can't confirm longevity.

I love the Koni/Lovells/Whiteline combo in my FG, but the rear Lovells don't lower the rear much. The Lovells spring kit gives it a more raked look which is apparently better for handling, but not looks if that's what your are chasing.

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 27d

I read somewhere that the Lovells kit intentionally lowers the front more than the back, and they only have one option. They basically have designed what they think performs best and you either take it or leave it.

But yes, using the same type of Kings front and back should keep it level.