Upgrading Fuel Pump

• Member For: 5y 11m 6d

Hey, I’m currently in the process of upgrading my fuel setup now I’ve chosen to go with a walbro 460 intank pump for now and eventually get a surge done. Now two things I’m unsure about are will I need to run a fuel regulator once the 460 is installed? And I’m also thinking of going e85 very soon, after the pump is can I just get it tuned for e85 is there anything else required? Currently running Bosch 1000cc injectors.

Thanks, 

Chris

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I'd suggest buying a couple of fuel filters as you'll probably block at least one when you switch to alcohol. Check your injector screens after a while too. I found that a couple of mine were harder to blow through after switching to e85.

If you're keen chuck in a battery feed to the intank with a relay etc. Walbro recommend upgrading factory wiring for the 460.

An aftermarket reg isn't necessary but it's kinda half assed not to use one. Get onto IMS as they've done some reg testing and found some work better than others. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 5y 9m 2d

Hey fella's, interesting I just came across your post. I'm just going through a similar dilemma regarding this topic. I've installed the Walbro 460 pod on my XR6T BA Ute & will be running 1000cc injectors BUT thoughts on the fuel pressure regulator? I see some stay with the standard 4bar others replace it with a 3.3bar or other? I'm unsure of the facts behind the theory... if anyone can explain, that be appreciated? I do assume it has something to do with using E85 & 98... or larger injectors requiring more/less? The old one I pulled out of mine was a 4bar... but which shall I replace it with after the fuel mods... thoughts?

tx ;-)

Edited by Leftabouturns
spelling

• Member For: 5y 9m 2d

Yes, thanks for that... concerning the more particulars regarding walbro 460lph + 1000cc injec. & best suitable bar fuel pressure regulator to run & why?

• Member For: 19y 6m 5d
On 06/10/2018 at 8:56 AM, BoostedG6E said:

Thank you, Any recommendations for a fuel regulator? 

mate I have a modified reg that bolts to the OEM rail. KPM sell them as part of their 460 intank kit which I used to run perfect for your 460 setup. Looks stock. 

Im runing a FPR 1200 now.

Yes you will need to upgrade your wiring and run a good quality relay and fuse setup. 

$50 PM me if you’re interested.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 5y 10m 9d

Whats the deal with upgrading wiring and is it recommended or needs to be done as I am installing my 460 this Saturday and car gets tuned Monday, don't have time this weekend to do the wiring lol. Already have to change regulator, injectors, install high flow cat and fit the 460 pump on Saturday and cant work on it sunday.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Get up a few hours earlier mate and get it done or put the tune off. 

You don't want to be changing the fuel flow that much without having it checked again so you may as well do it before to save money. 

As far as it being recommended, walbro say it's required. 

https://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-f90000267-fuel-pump-e85