Ford Falcon Xr6 Project (need help)

Brodie_S

• Member For: 5y 5m 25d

I'm looking at getting a xr6 turbo, preferably 06 and upwards but still the ba/bf body,

I want to get 500-550hp to the wheels but I dont know about a couple things and hope some of you know and can help me,

1. I've heard the bf 06 and onwards blocks are the typhoon blocks and are the stronger ones and are better to use?

2. Is the bf or fg engine better? Is the head different on the fg or what are the differences between the bf and fg block and head.

3. Can you put a t5 manual trans on a fg turbo engine? Then put that in the ba/bf body.

4. Any recommendations for the following parts?

- forged pistons and rods to handle 800hp+

Valves and valve springs

-what bottom end stuff like bearings ect would suit this kind of power?

- could a fg head go onto the bf "typhoon block?

Much appreciate any advice or comments that can answer these questions!!

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1d

From the middle of 06 the engines got better rods which ,tuned right,should handle that power output. a t5 will fit but won't last. FG has better inlet manifolding, sump & dipstick position is different to bf which may require drilling the block. Decent valve springs, oil pump gears are a must do (especially if manual & your going to bounce the limiter) upgrade pump & injectors, free up the exhaust, decent intercooler & a good tuner should get you close with the bf (larger) turbo 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Haha I'm just being a turkey but nothing wrong with a honda :stirthepot:

In reality a good condition stock fg turbo motor ($3k from the wreckers) with valve springs will go 550rwhp all day long. You could probably wind it up to 800rwhp (it's been done) if you were gentle but it'd be asking for trouble. 4321 mentioned some of the things you gotta swap over.

A set of spool or scat h beam rods with any aftermarket forged piston will go to 800rwhp "all day every day" providing you had the other bits to make it reliable.

When you upgrade one bit it just transfers the stress to another bit so it's a balancing act to decide what gets worn or broken (I choose tyres)...or you just do everything which cost an arm and a leg.

Buy an already done car so you don't waste money doing it yourself.

2 hours ago, Brodie_S said:

1. I've heard the bf 06 and onwards blocks are the typhoon blocks and are the stronger ones and are better to use?

Marginally but ok for the 500ish power level.

2. Is the bf or fg engine better? Is the head different on the fg or what are the differences between the bf and fg block and head.

Fg cos the cams should be less worn(new cams aren't cheap). The rest is too long for me to answer but there are differences.

3. Can you put a t5 manual trans on a fg turbo engine? Then put that in the ba/bf body.

Yeah but nah. So pretty much you can but you wouldn't...unless you wanted to...so yeah nah.

4. Any recommendations for the following parts?

- forged pistons and rods to handle 800hp+

Valves and valve springs

-what bottom end stuff like bearings ect would suit this kind of power?

- could a fg head go onto the bf "typhoon block?

Much appreciate any advice or comments that can answer these questions!!

The cheapest aftermarket will do it but there are reasons to get better stuff, even for "lower" power levels.

You can get coated bearings if you wanted to.

The heads are interchangeable.

This is all just my view on it and other mofos will have other ideas. One thing we all agree on is don't cut corners. Do it right the first time or you'll pay twice!!

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d
34 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

In reality a good condition stock fg turbo motor ($3k from the wreckers) with valve springs will go 550rwhp all day long.

Yep this. I'm being a pain tonight but this is the beauty of this motor. Go e85 tune for insurance or just buy another one. Unless its at the drags, skid comps or circuit everyday.