Dealer told me not to service my Zf 6sp - opinions?

cm.

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d

Yep Gulf Western, SYN-TS is mixed with lifeguard in mine and its fine ZF 6-Speed. There a quite a few using it now, its old news. Have a look on the site. Wouldn't use Nulon, sorry puff.

Edited by adams355

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

About to do mine and install a trans cooler. One other thing to consider is while the pan is off, get a sump plug welded into it. If you are going to drop the oil several times to flush out the convertor each service, this will make it a much cleaner and happier task.

Once I drop my pan I'm planning to shoot around to the welders with it.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
31 minutes ago, adams355 said:

Wouldn't use Nulon, sorry puff. 

No need to be sorry mate, I'm just saying it's an option. I've used it and it works fine.

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

Have also used, can't say it's bad. Nothing to compare it to though. Had a seal on the connector die and leak everywhere. Got in to change it and maybe a year/18 months later and the fluid condition was still good.

I would take it to a reputable transmission center if Ford wont do it.   Ask for a flush & filter, just confirm with them what replacement fluid they will use.

• Member For: 5y 6m 3d

Thanks for the tips everyone - I think my best option at this stage is to get 20L of gulf western and take it to a transmission shop to get flushed. I don't have the equipment for a full flush so I'll leave it to the experts for this one and then do the change myself next time - should still be some oil left from 20L. 

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d
Thanks for the tips everyone - I think my best option at this stage is to get 20L of gulf western and take it to a transmission shop to get flushed. I don't have the equipment for a full flush so I'll leave it to the experts for this one and then do the change myself next time - should still be some oil left from 20L. 
You don't need any extra equipment - the flush is basically just several fluid changes, but running the car and cycling through gears between each change to mix the new fluid with what stayed in the torque converter. This means you basically reduce the percentage of old fluid each time. There are a couple of threads around on this that might help.

I'm going to have a go at this myself in the next few weeks.