Dealer told me not to service my Zf 6sp - opinions?

cm.

• Member For: 5y 6m 3d

I was shopping around the dealers for prices of oil for my 6sp auto zf - all of them were willing to sell to me at the low low price of $80/L lol, so I'll be going the eBay route.

My car has 127,000 km on it and has never had the zf serviced. I'm planning to keep the car for a while so changing a lot of the fluids at the moment. One of the dealers told me not to bother servicing the car as the sludge build up could be holding the transmission together. I'm a bit of a granny driver but the car was previously a rental and I bought it at 89,000km about 3 years ago. 

Any opinions on the fluid change? I know Ford says "sealed for life" but I am very skeptical so say the least, from what I have read zf recommend changing the oil between 80,000-100,000 in certain "circumstances". Is 127,000km too long for a service change?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

When they said "sealed for life" they didn't specify what life. I suspect it was the life span of a chameleon cos you'd probably want to do it at least annually.

Hit up the search bar with the term "gulf western" and you should get a few good hits.

4 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

When they said "sealed for life" they didn't specify what life. I suspect it was the life span of a chameleon cos you'd probably want to do it at least annually.

Hit up the search bar with the term "gulf western" and you should get a few good hits.

There is no way I can justify doing it annually - the zf oil is just too expensive. I'll be looking to do it now at ~ 130,000km, then every 40-50k after that.  

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It's about $300 for an oil and filter change. Nothing wrong with spending that much per year to keep your trans fresh.

How often you "should" service it will come down to how you drive it.

If you do a track day and flog the hell out of it then change your fluids afterwards. If you drive like a g'mama then you can get by with longer intervals.

Edit: My missus does over 41000km per year just for work. That fits into your 40 to 50 thousand preference.

Edited by Puffwagon
Editinator.

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d

$30 for the ZF filter and gasket. $150 for Gulf Western Syn-TS 20L (enough for 3 standard changes). Do it yourself or $100 labour at a decent transmission shop.  

Edited by adams355

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Most transmissions have a plastic pan and ain't no plastic pan/filter gonna cost $30. You're looking at nearly $100 more for the cheap ones.

It's still plenty cheap enough to look after your car though.

I also have a steel pan so that isn't too much of an issue. Some of you guys are using gulf western oil... is that for the 6hp26? Everything I have read seems to indicate it needs the genuine oil - Lifegard 6 which costs about $45/L on ebay or $80/L from the two dealers I called. They must have gold flakes in this stuff or something. 

If I don't have to pay $300 just for the oil each service I could do it more often.

Edited by cm.