Turbo play

HOTXR6T

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 8m 30d

Hi I have been fitting a box over my pod air cleaner this afternoon, and while I had the 3" hose of the turbo I spun the turbo, spins fine, but I noticed it has some play in it. It's not making any noise, I was wondering how much play is normal if any and if it's not, do they run long after showing wear? She has done about 145000 km.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 23d

generaly a bit of up & down movement is acceptable (as long as it doesn't touch) but in & out movement is bad. These things don't last forever & when we speed (increase boost) them up we shorten there life.

• Thanks 1

• Member For: 6y 11m 18d

Mine has a little movement in/out and side to side. Its still the same and fine after 10,000 kms plus at 14psi. Had to replace the wife's diesel captiva (worst car ever, I couldn't change her mind) turbo a little while back and it was fine for 100,000km with 2 oil changes lol.. When it started to seize would still run but there was a cm play at every angle lol. Use good oil and change the turbo oil filter situation. Engine flush the oil as well if you know its history.

Edited by adams355
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 8m 30d

Thanks guys, it's may a mil or 2 sideways movement. But I did not know if it was allowed any movement at all. I am driving her to Alice springs next weekend 500k each way, the speed limit here is 130 kph and the highway patrol don't bother anyone doing 139 kph so it's pretty much cruise control for 3 and a half hours. 

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

It has to have clearance to allow for expansion  when hot.

Park in a garage and turn car off and listen to run down. That will tell you the condition.

• Like 1