BA XR6T Ute - Rim/Tyre Fitment

samgove89

• Member For: 5y 6m 2d

Hey guys,

I've got a set of Rota D2-EX that I want to fit to me BA ute. They are 18x9.5 +15 (front) and 18x10 +15 (rears), I've been hunting around and see a bloke on here (Henz) used to run +12 all round. I figure I'm in for a headache but with a bit of guard love I should be fine, maybe some stretch. Just wondering if anyone has run these sizes before and with what success/tyres? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 3m 25d

Those will be fine. Depends on how low your Ute is but I'd go a 245or255 front and a 275/285 rear. Will need the usual front lip roll and the inner gaurd lip cut down on the rear then rolled. If it's crazy hectic low then you might have to go a 235f 275rear

Pics of my 19" for reference. Your rears will sit exactly as mine do(275 rear) and your fronts will poke 7mm further than mine(235 but will fit a a lot wider)

My Ute's pretty low but I have no trouble with scrubbing after light guard work. c8123c0df48355286279d3df1cde8e51.jpg

f9caf59e0ddcca5a27fb042db17353f7.jpg

bamk2f6tornado! You are a legend! Your ute looks great with that fitment. 

How much room do you have under the rear guards with the 275's? I'd prefer to run a bigger wheel but if I ran a smaller tyre, say a 255, would I get away without any love to the rear? I spoke to a guard roller yesterday who reckons he can cut the bracket on the rear, roll the guard then re-attached the support bracket. So I'm happy to get it done if need be. My ute does sit fairly low though.

My old rims are cracked but they have a good set of 235/40s on them so I might pull them off and whack them on the front.

Not a great deal of room under the rear on the outside, alot on the inside but 60+mm.
For reference on lowness my Ute is 330mm hub to guard.
You could get away with a 285 on the rear of mine with the current guard work. Maybe a 295 if I really cut it up and pumped it out. You will need to cut the lip regardless even with stretched rubber as the rim will contact the guard over bumps coz truck rear end
I didn't separate my bracket from the guard or anything. Just cut the lip off and rolled the rest. Only left about 6mm of bracket left then rolled it over

Yeah I thought that might be the case. 
I reckon I'm a touch lower than you so that's a good reference point.

I hadn't heard of doing the rear guards like that before, I might take a look and see if I can take care of it that way. If not I'll get the pros on to it. In the meantime, guess I'm in the market for some 275s, What sorta profile should I be looking at? Does that have any play in fitment or just effect the rolling diameter?

Edited by samgove89

If you plan on running your current 245/40 on the front go a 275/35 on the rear

Pics of the inside of my rear guard before paint for your reference. As you can see a fair bit of room in the inside. Mine are 10.5+22. Yours will have 15mm more suspension clearance than mineee2e3569cf11d23f4d5a463120ee3fc5.jpg5d394ed4877b8ff45ed7b8a300d40bfa.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Got the guards rolled and the rims fitted up the other day. They look sweet. Ended up with 235 on the front and 265 on the back but defs reckon I could have gone wider. Can't thank you enough for your input bamk2f6tornado.

Looks as if my diff is off centre as well, rim sits more flush on the right than the left but that's a problem for another day.

FtCOT1d.jpgCKtQN9i.jpg

y4CPh7R.jpg

Edited by samgove89
More details
  • Like 2

All good mate. Not much you can do with the diff as they have locating pins with zero movement. The tub does move though. Take the tub liner out and lossen the 8ish bolts. Can normally get a few mm movement out of that