Engine rattle

jas98

• Member For: 11y 8m 26d

Hi. Have a ba xr6t 

Changed oil about 4500 ks ago and filter

For last couple weeks have noticed first start in morning theres a engine rattle seems to last aboit 30 to 40 seconds then its like turning off a switch and is quiet again. Toe it sounded like passenger side of engine. (Could be starter motor not retracting?)

Oil im useing is penrite 15 40. And a ryco oil filter

Does this sound like oil is not pumping quick enough to top end? Ill give it a oil and filter change as I have had problems with tyco filters before. But if its a bearing or oil pump it be doing it all time?? 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Got a vid mate? Does it only do it when it's cold? What if you start it and let the noise go away, will it do it again if you turn it off and restart the car?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 13d

I had an engine rattle in my F6 recently.  Pitlane thought it might be timing guide as they are plastic and can break so took timing cover off and nope was all okay.  My rattle was front passenger side of engine as well.  Was worse in mornings starting cold.  Turned out to be idle pulley and rubber belt tensioner causing the rattle (had to change out idle pulley on my BA T as well when I had one).  Replaced them brand new as well as new rubber belt and was all good!  Hope that helps :beerchug: