pdidily6401

boost solenoid fail?

cheers man, but I found the problem thought I would see what the status of the turbo was, pulled the airpipe and saw red...literally, followed it back to the air cleaner and whaddayaknow, brand spanikin new highflow filter in bits, check out these pics, just sent them to tuner, he going to give me a call in the morning, am thinking this is now all through my intercooler vanes as well....

IMG_1772.thumb.JPG.60c99ac9ffa052eff63a11a818971a91.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

holy crap... that's a massive failure... warranty/at-fault claim through the filter company?

Wowsers! What brand filter is that so we know never to buy it!

The bearing could still be fine though so you might just get away with replacing the wheel and comp housing. 

What size cooler is it?

cheers man, but I found the problem thought I would see what the status of the turbo was, pulled the airpipe and saw red...literally, followed it back to the air cleaner and whaddayaknow, brand spanikin new highflow filter in bits, check out these pics, just sent them to tuner, he going to give me a call in the morning, am thinking this is now all through my intercooler vanes as well....

IMG_1772.thumb.JPG.60c99ac9ffa052eff63a11a818971a91.JPG
IMG_1774.thumb.JPG.80d4d27525ddaabc2e3ea71b3979a578.JPG

Jesus, you don’t have much luck do you.

yup is a BMC has been shipped to aussie to the supplier, claim in progress will keep you posted but cant say too much until I hear from them, expecting an answer around Wednesday of this week.

I had my BMC filter fail after about 12 years. Lucky I saw it real early before it disintegrated. 

I clean and re oil every year and when I lifted the air box cover some of the rubber seal tore off. The more I touched it the more it crumbled.

Went in the bin and now have a K&N.

Twelve years is a pretty good run. 

On 11/12/2018 at 4:29 PM, pdidily6401 said:

brand spanikin new

This, not so much. 

Apart from the claim etc, how is the car looking? Did ya look in the cooler yet? 

have not checked the cooler yet but suspect given the mess the turbo is in the air filter product has moved through this also, still waiting to hear back from the manufacturer and the car is currently back at the tuners until we get it sorted expecting to hear back later this week, will keep you all posted.

ok , quick update.

after many weeks of patient waiting we have a result of sorts, gotta say big thanks to my tuner steve at SMP here in Blenheim and Chris Evert at NZEFI in CHCH,  between them they have convinced the australian importer to cover the cost of the repairs to the motor, which is awesome from them unfortunately I don't know who they are but I will endeavour to find out, as BMC have yet to respond to them but they have undertaken to cover the costs of the repairs regardless and instructed SMP to go ahead with the work. Turbo sent away today for new inner core , going ceramic, have new aftermarket intercooler arriving hopefully tomorrow so all going to plan coupla weeks will reach the end of this saga.

yup, and leakdown test came back perfect also. not getting my hopes up just yet though, will wait till I have it off the dyno and back in the drive before I get too excited, really disappointed with BMC however, they really had a good chance here to show what a caring, put things right company they are, as yet this has not been the case, not sure where to go now with the air cleaner option. Open to suggestions.

I reckon you wouldn't go wrong with k&n. They cost more than the cheap brands but you see them on plenty of high power cars.

I'm sure some other guys will have suggestions too.

1 hour ago, MBAF said:

another vote for K&N as long as you are not in a dusty area

That's an interesting comment cos I live in a dusty as ever loving fark area. You will frequently drive through a thick cloud of dust from a side road and there is generally dust and dirt everywhere. Recently I was pondering an intake/filter setup for my car and had a look at a fairly unused k&n filter I had lying around. I decided to go with a cheapy due to the size of the holes in the k&n and more so the fact that it wouldn't have fitted unless I did a turbo change.

That said there is more than one type of k&n filter available.

and , update, car is running, took the opportunity to upgrade the turbo to the Garret gtx358 gen2,  dyno came out at 284rwkw, k and n panel filter works fine, am a happy camper, been a bit of a marathon so going to just drive it for a bit before starting the stage two upgrade of the spare head.

well done :icon_ford:

on a side-note... you've probably got the lowest dyno figure for a GTX3584 gen2 turbo on one of these cars, so far :P