boost solenoid fail?

pdidily6401

• Member For: 5y 8m 20d

now that sounds pretty sharp, assume here I am going to splice into one of the two wires that runs to the solenoid, any idea which as one should be power in and one running to earth. Once I get home will give this a crack, hopefully one has a black stripe or similar to identify as running to earth., assume it will be 12v so will use a bulb with power in and running to earth yes, and if solenoid is working I should see the light come on when I exceed 5psi.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
4 minutes ago, pdidily6401 said:

any idea which as one should be power in and one running to earth. 

Nope but wouldn't matter for a light. A multimeter could help out with working out what does what and if you've got a deadly one then you could probably use that instead of a light to measure duty cycle.

ok, did what was suggested and hooked up the multimeter but now more questions, had 14.22 volts as standard the moment I turned the key was at 12.4 (battery) then turned on car voltage jumped to 14.22, (alternator kicking in), I  hooked into the white and red as pink was 12 volt constant  and white and red wire showed no voltage when I checked prior to patching  the multimeter in, took it for a run and it only dropped to just over zero voltage as the boost started then quickly built back up to 14 plus volts, url link of video below, is a bit shaky but you get the idea.

and duh, just realised that there was a link to measure duty cycle, will see if my multi can do it, if not will take it to work and get the sparkies one hooked up tomorrow.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I watched your clip. I think the multimeter wasn't updating frequently enough to give decent info as the solenoid is a fairly high frequency (33hz?) on/off affair. I also think the zero's that we saw should be ignored as they weren't consistent with the first acceleration event. 

You'd think, that as a fail safe, the solenoid would be open with no power, so if that's the case, if you're getting voltage constantly then that would explain it boosting to the moon.

ok but given all of the above comments, are we all still of the opinion given I can blow down the line to the wastegate actuator with no issue and continue this constantly,  that the seal is broken on the factory one and I may as well go ahead and do the change to the 7psi tuborsmart bolt on I have on the bench?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
On 12/09/2018 at 3:18 PM, pdidily6401 said:

I thought, did some searching, removed the hose feeding to the boost solenoid and ran a closed loop from the turbo outlet straight to the wastegate actuator, repeated and it never went over 7psi,

This statement contradicts that.

In saying that, plenty of people don't understand or communicate various failures properly which usually causes faulty diagnosis. Haha I have seen this quite often and even have had people tell me that I didn't need to "check the plugs" only to find out they were fouled.

I think swapping the wg will make no difference but if there's a known good one sitting there it will only cost a bit of time to find out.