HECTIC CLUTCH TIME

JETURBO

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 27d

Ok chaps I’ve got a new customer who’s GS 5.0 S/C ute is making ~430rwkw on 98 with usual bolt ons and literally drives it like he’s “stolen it” every time it starts up .... 

the short of the question I’m looking for is what clutch is more hectic than what he’s just killed ( NPC twin kevlar race plate clutch kit ) ? 

I know the S/C 5.0 platform hammers the frisbees hard and “CANFRY” went through many until the latest one that’s hanging on well, but it’s been yonks since I’ve been on Failbook so I can’t remember what he’s running now. 

Who’s got a clutch that’s taking stupid abuse and living to clamp another day and what is it ? 

Im looking at the tripple plate clutch industries arrangement but not set on plate material yet as I’m not super confident anything is going to survive the way this customer drives 

KGO 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m

Look up Monster Clutches. They make a triple plate that can take 1500rwhp and more than likely can make up a custom one to suit your mates car.

Cleetus McFarland on yootoob (also featured on the Monster Clutches home page) has a manual corvette drag car running a face plated t56 magnum with a triple plate clutch that has done 300 odd passes at close to and over 1000rwhp with dozens of dyno pulls in the mix. He has just recently run a 7.8 second pass at 176 mph.

Edit: Manuals are for tractors and cars that need a push start.

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Thanks 1

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 28d

Kevlar is supposed to be nicer to drive than ceramic but from what I know needs a higher clamping force to hold.
Would be interesting to see if it was a different pressure plate or only the clutch plates that differ in that npc clutch.

I drive my ute pretty hard, have not killed the Xtreme twin plate ceramic clutch yet . It's not the easiest clutch to get used to that's for sure but it's nice and cheap. Have gone through 2 axles since I've had the clutch in so its not for lack of trying lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 28d
On 11/09/2018 at 7:38 PM, JETURBO said:

Who’s got a clutch that’s taking stupid abuse and living to clamp another day and what is it ? 

Hehehe..... me!

Running 612hp @ the treads, with 4.1 diff gears and small 245/35/20's and I abuse the sh*t out of it, often dumping the clutch @ 5000rpm+ in all gears (including 6th!)

It's a new addition only 2000km ago because I broke the pressure plate on the twin ceramic Xtreme that it was previously running (actually broke the pressed steel across the feet where it bolts to the flywheel!)

The new setup is a Mantic twin plate organic track kit, I'm very impressed with the feel and the consistency of its launches off the line...

Worth looking into, I know there are lots of really full on race type kits out there but I found they sacrifice feel and longevity.

Where organic kits of this calibre almost feel like a factory unit, except for the slightly heavier pedal. (only 30% increase in clamping force, but good for 1250nm of torque)  

1697023223_mantictrackmultiplateclutch.jpg.75c21b331965f6d79baac56a7bc66c5c.jpgM926227_4(1).JPG.7238eb9321e8c9e0341e508a51d3da2e.JPG

• Like 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 28d

man you got me thinking now. Should I try and dump my clutch in 1,2,3,4 to see if I can get the wheels spinning......

I think I am too scared to turn of the DSC thingo that shows up on the dash.