Oil return line leak

joffa1

• Member For: 5y 11m 22d

I'm not familiar with the thread repair stuff. Is it like a quickmetal putty or epoxy? If so you'd still have to be careful not to get any in the sump.

Yes you could use some sort of rtv silicone as a temp fix. Make sure you clean all oil off flanges and the bolt with brake cleaner or metho. Put a bit on the face of the flange and about 5 to 10mm of the bolt shaft/thread near the head of bolt, and I'd let it set for 24 hrs before driving. As I said I think it will be a temp fix so it may still drip but at least you'll slow it down.

• Like 1

• Member For: 6y 8m 16d

Temp fix helped but didn’t stop the flow. 

Just grabbing a new oil return line from Ford now. 

Will I I be able to remove and install new one up at the turbo end easily enough? How is access? I’m assuming it’s not a turbo out job...

any other tips... I assume new gaskets too?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Yeah, it's do-able from underneath, but it's tricky to get a socket in the turbo end to tighten it. Definitely get new gaskets. Otherwise, just torque to a fairly soft specification.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1d

The threads into the sump are blind, so you only have to block the return hole. With your fresh oil just drain it into a clean container & put it back in when your finished. The helicoil can be bought as a kit with the right drill bit.  You can even buy a right angle adaptor for your drill if it's to long to fit in. Measure the depth of the hole & transfer this measurement to your drill bit with some masking tape- do not drill through! plan B is ring a mobile thread repair bloke & get out of his way!

• Like 1