Oil return line leak

joffa1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d

So 20mm + thickness of pipe connector plate and that's the length of bolt to use. I suggest replacing both. 

If you have bottoming tap , run it down to clean up the threads. 

Seeing as its blind , spray out with a cleaning fluid to flush the hole. 

If you dont have a new gasket , clean the old one and use a  quality silicone gasket material on both sides.

Use 243 loctite on the bolts  and just nip them up. They dont need to be very tight.  Manual says 20Nm , but with gasket material the joint will hold its self so 15 would be enough. You dont want to destroy the threads that are left.

Additionally the one hole that is good can go tighter and that will better hold the joint.

One last thing. Offer up the pipe to the turbo and sump. It should fit perfect and not be a stretch. If it is you need to rotate the turbo core. If this is the case, this is likely why it failed. BUT sometimes the cores after time wont rotate easily. If that's the case return the new line and use a piece of HIGH temp rubber hose and join the two.

Good luck. Should be sweet

Edited by arronm

• Member For: 6y 9m 12d

Was also going to ask while I’ve got a few components removed and decent access around the turbo is there any other things I can look out for/maintenance I can do? I’ve got use of another car for a week so thought I might do some other bits and pieces while it’s up on stands. 

Fyi 2012 fg xr6t manual with just shy of 100,000. I’ve done gearbox oil, diff oil, engine oil and filter, tightened up manifold bolts. Was thinking wd40 on the boost solenoid... anything else jump out... cleaning of throttle body, intake components maybe?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

High pressure power steering hose is in that area, too.

Change all of the gaskets for anything you remove, change bolts out for replacements where necessary, look for leaks and residue, clean the engine earth strap, check the exhaust for cracks, check the steering linkages and suspension linkages etc. :)

Plenty you can do while you're down there.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • Member For: 6y 11m 23d

Does anyone know the size of the oil return hole on the block, the ford return pipe is 13mm. Is it the same, anyone have an engine out or a block sitting around or know. Thanks.