Oil return line leak

joffa1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m

I didn't drill anything.

I raided my spare nut and bolt box for something slightly bigger and the right length, I pulled out the tap and die set and found a tap that matched the bolt and then I ran it through with a rag in the hole to stop sh*t getting in the sump.

Each situation will be slightly different and this approach may or may not work for you.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2d

taps come in 3 stages, a 'starting 'one with a long champher, a intermediate & a bottoming (insert jokes here) tap with the thread cutters going nearly all the way to the end This is so you can get as much thread in the hole as possible (remember its not supposed to go through) put plenty of grease on the tap to pick up the debris You will have to drill & tap if you decide to helicoil. Did you try a longer bolt in case there's some thread left in the bottom of the hole?

• Member For: 6y 8m 17d

I haven’t tried that yet but that’s probably worth a go. 

Ive no experience with tapping new threads at all. 

So the existing damaged thread takes an m8 bolt, so I assume the next step is to tap a thread that will take a m10 bolt? What I don’t get is some people are saying drill and tap and some are saying no drilling? 

Do you only drill if you’re putting in helicoil? If I just want to tap up a size there’s no drilling right? Going to get my self a tap and die set and see what I can do tomorrow. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m

To do it properly you should be drilling the right size hole to suit the thread. You can find a drill bit to tap size chart by googling it. You should also drill the hole perpendicular although it's usually eyeballed in this case. Other things will want a mag drill.

Most of the advice you get in life isn't black and white. There is pretty much always a scenario where you can or should do things differently.

Just because I didn't drill doesn't mean that you shouldn't.

I would suggest googling as much as you need to about tapping and helicoiling before you jump in. It's not that hard really but with no experience it's probably better to go by the book so to speak. 

Here's a tip; if you think you don't need to drill in any given case then don't force the tap as they can snap fairly easily.

• Like 1