Oil return line leak

joffa1

• Member For: 6y 8m 16d

Hi guys, please be patient with me I’m no mechanic but looking to learn as I go...

I smelt a burning oil smell smell while driving home the other night and then saw smoke coming from back of ute which turned out to be oil hitting the hot exhaust. 

Anyway I got it home and up on stands and there was a oil and grime all over the underside of the car so after some solid de greasing I pinpointed the leak to the oil return line. 

I started by tightening up the two bolts connecting the line to the sump and then started her up again. Sure enough more oil leaking. 

It looks to be coming from further up the line where the join is. I unbolted it all to take a look and it looks like there is no tight connection where it joins hence the leak. Is this right? It looks like they should mate together another way... like to sort it ASAP so I can drive it again without dumping oil everywhere. 

Attached a few photos so you know what I’m talking about. On the first one you can see where the oil is coming out. 

2729428A-1A29-4497-A2B9-6A57ED2744A8.jpeg

708F1B42-7283-4E09-BCDB-20550AF54B08.jpeg

Edited by joffa1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

It does look like it's coming from the flex joint... The only way to fix that is to repair or replace that pipe.

It could also be coming from the turbo, so make sure it's not coming from the turbo oil drain itself or somewhere else on the CHRA.

I had the joint apart at one point... it worries me how they just sit together there,  as in no way of tightening them up together?

im pretty certain that’s the only place the oil is escaping. 

anyone know the part number I need from ford? Or if there’s a good aftermarket option?

Something like this?

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/TURBO-OIL-RETURN-HOSE-LINE-KIT-FOR-FORD-FG-UTE-XR6-FPV-F6-FALCON-G6-SEDAN-UTE/173422846911?hash=item2860cea3bf:g:OXQAAOSw6nNZugbm

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

I don't have the part number on hand, but this thread has some instructions on what to do to make it better than the factory item (and cheaper) -> http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/77651-turbo-oil-drainreturn-replacement/

No worries thanks I had a read through that one earlier and sonic seem to have all the parts needed to make one up. 

On another note I just re tightened the bolts at the sump and the lower one is not tightening!!! It feels like it is and then just goes loose again. Surely I couldn’t have stuffed the thread didn’t go that hard. 

Any suggestions?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

They are super weak threads in the sump. A helicoil is a good way to fix it if you've stripped the thread. Or re-tap it very carefully.

• Like 1

• Member For: 5y 11m 22d

Make sure if you helicoil that thread you either put grease on the drill bit and tap, or another option is hold a vacuum cleaner nozzle right next to the hole as you're drilling and tapping. Also drop your oil afterwards just in case. You'll need a right angle drill to drill the hole. If you're not confident in doing it get someone who is to show you.  

• Like 1

Spewing just did an oil and filter change!

oh well I guess there is a chance of grit getting in. 

Could I use some of that thread repair stuff (I think permatek do one). Or would that risk getting crud in the oil supply too?