FG MK 1, 2, FGX, BA/BF and Territory replacement ICC

Rab

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 23d

yer even put a screen up there for climate, anything, and yer even a hat would look better than a huge chunk missing lol

Edited by bossmang

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 7y 11m 23d

A while ago I had a kayhan v4 installed in one of the work Utes, a mk1 1 tonner, with a powered sub under the passenger seat. It was before the V5 was released.

It wasn't being used, so I grabbed it the other day to use as my runaround, and started sorting out the unit.

The climate control popup wasn't working so I did a firmware and mcu upgrade, everything good.

My next project was getting wireless Android auto going via the supplied dongle and an aawireless unit I kept when I sold my trackhawk.

It was already paired with my phone, so after confirming wired Android auto was working I plugged it in. No problem, takes maybe 20 seconds to boot and connect, maybe a little longer than with the jeep head unit.

Everything works fine, I think the kayhan units are a bit expensive for what they are, I expect the V5 with native wireless Android auto/car play would be a neater solution.

So if you have a v4 and want wireless Android auto, the aawireless unit works perfectly.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

what's the chances of the v5 just being the v4 with a USB dongle for Android Auto etc plugged into one of the USB ports haha, as per my post here ->

On 15/12/2022 at 8:53 AM, k31th said:

Seems like the v5 has some minor upgrades (8gb RAM instead of 6, HDMI in & out, front aux input instead of rear only) and default inclusions (wireless android auto/wireless apple carplay :shocked:, DAB)  to make it more expensive ($1,495) than the v4 that I've got ($1,195). Personally I'd stick with the v4 as I don't use Android Auto on mine and what kayhan charge for a standard AA/AC dongle that connects to one of the USB ports is a little on the extreme side haha.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

a proper head unit will be well over $1000 so they're around the same price... no big deal either way... people can buy whatever they want. If I was after a replacement I would contact them to see if they do take out the bits I don't want for cheaper... I think they may have shot themselves in the foot by including those bits in the price and bumping the price so high... I think what I paid was a little high but worth every cent once I had it all setup how I want/use it.

• Like 1

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 20d

Yea I agree, I bought a V2 unit and didn't include all the addon stuff as I didn't need them. Premium sound activation for example. I had plans to put an audio system in with two amps - thus not requiring the activation. Now its like 1.5k for the whole thing which is real steep. Doesn't stop me from wanting to upgrade though 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 7y 11m 23d

I just did a return trip to Kalbarri in the fg Ute fitted with kayhan v4 unit with 'Android auto' dongle with my aa wireless plugged in. Vehicle has upgraded door speakers and an under seat powered sub. Nothing too expensive.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised, wireless Android auto worked fine and the integration with the fg is very good.

The only bug is when you do a short stop the unit sometimes didn't recognise the dongle on power up, easily fixed with a reboot. I'm assuming it goes into sleep mode for a preset time, should be fixable in settings somewhere.

The interesting thing is how they have inserted their app in between Android auto and the firmware. The hardware specs support wireless Android auto natively.
I suspect the main reason is so they can charge for it...
Flashing alternative firmware would enable Android auto but would lose the integration.
Interestingly the app fixes one of the biggest bugs in Android auto, after a phone call you have to manually return to navigation or whatever screen you were using. With the kayhan an incoming call appears as an overlay on the current screen and navigation runs in the background and continues uninterrupted after the call ends.

The hardware is probably worth half of what they charge, but the integration with the Ford canbus is what you are paying for.

Ive been comparing it with the high end unit in my g6e, sound quality on the kayhan is not as good, but the integration is better...

I'd have to say I'm pretty impressed all round, I suspect the V5 unit would be even better.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 26d

I think they have a much cheaper linux based unit now. Makes more sense if using andoid auto or carplay as you dont need access to apps in the headunit anyway.

• 3 months later...
  • [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 20d

Kayhan audio charge $150 for the wired android auto/ apple carplay dongle. Sourced the same one from aliexpres that also supports wireless for just under $80 that should arrive today. Keen to see if it can revive my old and slow V2 head unit! Theoretically it should be faster because the unit itself is doing less work