FG MK 1, 2, FGX, BA/BF and Territory replacement ICC

Rab

• Member For: 3y 7m 6d

Brenton....is this the guy associated that everyone here uses? Even though I've had some bad encounters on evil bay, I have never been left high and dry, thanks to the ebay/paypal protection.

• 1 year later...
  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Wanted one of these for the BA for ages... decided to bite the bullet a few months ago :)

Got the V4 B-series version, new "front camera" (needed because the car is now lowered and if I want to park near anything with the front-bar, I need to stop JUST short as it won't make it over, in general), new reverse camera (same reason that I will be doing a lot of reverse parking because the car's lowered, I'd like to get right back in parking spots right to walls/fences etc without scratching/bending the rear bar). Also got a kayhan dashcam 2nd-hand off gumtree (about 1/3rd the cost of the one you order with the unit, yay) as it's pretty decent for the cost (will use it to record cruises etc :spoton: )

Here's how it arrived:

YLK2YdB.jpg

Here's the stock vs Kayhan unit, plus all the relevant hardware:

fYf5RUs.jpg

Installed + running:

Kej4TS0.jpg

OduRaJD.jpg

The front camera installed:

6iHXs07.jpg

The rear camera installed:

BZkU27P.jpg

The dash camera installed, front & back (I've since moved it from this position on the front to the other side of the mirror because it was making it hard to get this mirror in the right place):
BAuFwdL.jpg

07enXc3.jpg

Overall impressions are that this is quite a functional unit. It's helpful that it's stock android and I can easily install open source software etc on it to run my music etc which is a lot better interface than the stock music one.

Overall it works pretty well except for a few minor niggles:

1. Kayhan says the ICC is 1080p but you can only set it to 720p, unless you get into the "developer options" and force it to 1080p (not ideal).

2. SIM card reader is a great idea to share mobile data, but mobile data is hard to get shared with my current mobile phone provider... annoying haha hopefully this will be rectified soon.

3. A/C controls are not obvious; pressing any buttons for "on/off" doesn't flag either way, also pressing "colder/hotter" doesn't indicate how far along a scale it is. Yes, I've tried setting the unit's properties to something different, without luck. I just live with it as-is but would like to get this sorted somehow.

4. Install was a bit tricky to get everything in behind the unit without squashing stuff badly... had to put it in and take it out a few times to make sure everything was "ok" functionality wise before it's on it's current island of stability :)

It's a huge upgrade over the standard ICC, which isn't really saying much. It's very nice to have a more modern interface in the car. For the cost, it's probably barely worth the upgrade, but for the convenience of "working with the current car" while also upgrading it, it's worth the cost, imho.

• Like 2

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Excellent.

I use the Agama launcher for the android - pretty customiseable

There are probably better/more recent options out there, but am happier than I was with the stnadard one.

Pretty much just use my phone connected to it with android auto these days - does the trick perfectly.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 6m 25d

@k31th I assume you can use an OBDLink MX+ (BT) or even the EX (USB) with the Kayhan and any number of the obd2 apps?

OBDLink, Car Scanner, Torque, Forscan lite and even Virtual Dyno... It'd be a fully sik Nissan Skyline spec beast showing all the parameters! YEWWW.... 

Pity you can't get the Kayhan paddle shifters for the BA (seems exclusive to those FG willy wankers) lol. 

Their website is atrocious btw

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

I agree, their website isn't great.

Of course you can use those OBD2 stuff that connects via bluetooth etc.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y

With the A/C, just make sure the unit is correctly set to the car type by using the "Car settings" app.

When I installed mine it was set to "new falcon single zone" which was causing issues. Had to change it to correctly match the car which is "new falcon dual zone".

Not a fan of this "old" and "new" nomenclature, would much prefer to see "BA, BF, FG, FGX" as it makes far more sense.

I assume "new" refers to FG-FGX and "old" refers to BA-BF. 

I'd love to see a video of the A/C interface, because my V2 unit has the set temp of each zone displayed on the unit - sounds like yours doesn't have this? Not even a scale? 

Said it many times, Kayhan have good products but have an abysmal website and utterly useless - if any at all - instructions.