FG MK 1, 2, FGX, BA/BF and Territory replacement ICC

Rab

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d
34 minutes ago, k31th said:

They might even do one for your car :P

They do...

http://kayhanaudio.com.au/product/satnav-for-honda-accord-screen-size-13-inch-price-975/

I've seen those units on Aliexpress before...read mixed reviews...also, $$$

Edited by .Stripes.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Having fun when I get a chance setting it up how I want it.

Trying different launchers etc.

Couple of issues so far:

Screen is a bit too dim for my preference.

Neither OBDLink MX Bluetooth nor Dual XGPS160 (10hz BT gps unit) are pairing as yet.

HU can see them, but not pair.

I think the MX (and maybe the GPS) uses a rolling passcode for security that the BT in the HU has no way of allowing you to approve. It's tied to the phone module that's pretty basic compared to a proper phone.

Have got another OBDII dongle incoming to see if it works. Fingers crossed.

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d
2 hours ago, k31th said:

Tempted?

I'm just about convinced... 

Nah. I seriously don't have the money for that kinda stuff at the moment. Got stung when leaving my old job with having to pay them back uni fees and then now having to cover the remaining two semesters fees before the end of this FY. That combined with still having an outstanding balance transfer from some home renovations I did previously to pay back...and the fact I took a pay cut with my new job.

You should definitely buy one though, Keith...and put it in your blue car!

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Definitely finding my screen far too dim.

Anyone else have a MKII screen? Brightness ok?

Those with the original FG units find the brightness fine?

Hoping it's just my screen and can replace it with one that's not so dim.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 6d

Is that with the brightest setting? Sure you dont have it in night mode?

I have the larger screen and brightness if fine and also adjustable. Maybe its linked to your interior light settings?

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Feeling happier now - an ebay el cheapo ELM327 OBDII works perfectly with the head unit - will now have gauges available on the screen - just need to set them up.

Will switch back to the Dual GPS and Scantools OBDLink units (they're both faster and more accurate) for any future track days (on the phone/tablet as neither work with the Kayhan unit) but for every day driving I'm more than happy. Don't really need to be timing laps on the public roads ;)

Am living with the (lack of) brightness - have gotten used to it. Wish the screen wasn't such a fingerprint magnet though :S

Most of my trips are short ones during the week - by the time the unit's booted up (~45seconds) and it's gotten all the new notifications (email etc) I'm usually at my destination lol.

Wrapt with being able to use my own sat nav choice (Tom Tom Go) and stream my own music (Google Play Music) while keeping my phone in my pocket/centre dash.

Have tried some of the other launcher options - Agama and CarWebGuru both seem pretty decent and look excellent when running - look like they're meant to be there - just need the time to get them how I want them.

Need to get my hands on a 3/4G USB dongle that will work with the unit - data is so cheap these days I may as well have the car connected online whenever it's turned on (shared mobile internet plans FTW. Have the family on my "business plan" with 150GB shared between all phones - I'm the only one who uses it lol)

Amp and proper audio upgrade (maybe over the xmas break) are now probably on the cards - something I was never able to do with the stock head unit. Already sounds better than the stock unit did.

Currently trying to get the unit to stay on for an hour after I turn off the key (there's a setting for it, but seems hit and miss at the moment) and getting the sat nav to start up with the unit (there's a setting for it, but seems hit and miss at the moment)

So far - I'd be happy to recommend the upgrade from the FG MkII screen as long as you're aware of the limitations the android head units have (I thought it'd be basically an Android tablet, but they're locked down and utilise "work arounds" for a lot of the stuff). For anything older than the MkII or any without phone/bluetooth connectivity they're pretty much a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Also worth looking at for other make/model cars you may have as well (if they have units for them) - am thinking of one for mums VW Golf - would totally bring the car up to date. That said though, there may be cheaper options on eBay/Aliexpress etc where Kayhan don't have the monopoly like they do on the Falcon/Territory head units.

• Like 3