CJF077

Future of Site - Discussion

Wow... I'm only 7 pages too late, I need more attentiveness & what size valve caps do I need ? ; P

Perhaps I can share my experience as a newer member to the site / the topic & as a mature gentleman (?). I guess a fresh set of eyes recently looking from the outside in, this may or may not be helpful. I hope it is... if not be positive.

Small fish taste sweet... if there was options for smaller donations ( $2, $4, $8 & $ 10 ) you'd get a whole lot more people coming & leaving without 'Not saying thanks' but by leaving a small donation. This was mentioned in earlier posts... I think for many a minimum sub or donation of $20 is quite considerable for some who are randomly searching for "spark plug gap" or "injectors to use" which could be a lot (in their mind) for a one off internet search "who knows" & joined up anyways.

Advertising & Companies

I think businesses & advertising 'here' has been poor, you'd think with the steady monopoly in the market place for XR6T 'bits-&-bobs' they'd spend a little advertising on the fordXR6turbo forum??? I guess that's why the yanky companies just know how to take everything business to a whole new level & the enthusiasts have heaps of 'bits-&-bobs' plus enjoy the reward of R&D on the forum for all to benefit. I don't get paid by them nor sponsored so... they're on their own, no suggestions for them lul o,0

Yearly subscription

Pro's - A small yearly subscription (I.e. $2.99 p/yr) consider perhaps a 1 month (limited access) free trial for new members otherwise new members might just be afraid of what they get for their money & go elsewhere. We have 60k members even getting 10%+ of these would be positive thinking.

Con's - Users argue why pay for a forum which advertising should be paying for (argument ?), forums are suppose to be free (?). Yearly subscription WILL limit members & limit the exposure to our advertising &/or traffic coming & staying (?)

Donating

As a new member I do a very small amount of browsing late at night (once in a while) whilst sipping on a Port whilst eyelids close... only to suddenly reopen to hear the sound of the 'computer mouse' hitting the floor... whilst left hand firmly clasps glass of Port liquid safely motionless in glass 'yes'... bravo saved!! Ohh... where was I? Yes, that thread I was reading that I never read... that I will read one day, which I was going to read... but I didn't read it bugger!  BUT, I feel compelled to donate for logging on & accidentally looking at the title & falling asleep (?) I guess... this is what we need to avoid (falling asleep?).

Remembering, members find their way 'here' via random traffic, searches or may only see one page of content... so we need to make it user friendly for them to donate small amounts if they wish. If you consider the possible amount those whom 'may or may not' have donated in the past $1 or $2 or $4 who knows could be 'zero or thousands' (?) I think asking for large amounts starting at $20 -$50+ is quite substantial for any 'forum setting' for any new member. As mentioned in earlier posts... these sorts of donations are normally made by old members who've had the fruits of using the forum for many years &/or rewarded with unique benefits, avatar etc.

Conclusion

Perhaps a gradual changes... maybe implement small changes first? A new web host was mentioned if that's suitable financially? Try adding small donations $2, $4 etc. first, maybe small gradual changes to the forum you might find the big changes aren't necessary(?)

Dunno, it's a whole lot of gibberish to me what I wrote, so I don't expect most of you to know what I was talking about.... but at the end of the day we all care about each other & our cars with the bits-&-bobs we put on them. We all have like-minded goals, objectives & toot toot vhrroom vvvtooshh with the turbo sounding thingie noise if u like that... so about those valve caps?

Haha well put if somewhat rambling. The smaller donation amounts would work well I reckon. If someone can have a quick read and save themselves a few bucks then why not donate a small amount?

Maybe this can be put into a "read this before you sign up" spiel so people are made aware that donations help out a lot and that even $2.20 helps.

To much talk,  no action.  

Come on guys, it's been over 3 weeks,  are we moving ahead.  

As a min fix the donation input.  

Edited by arronm

9 hours ago, arronm said:

Come on guys, it's been over 3 weeks,  are we moving ahead.  

@k31th and @CJF077 are working on a useable solution.

A couple of outside influences have delayed deployment but there should be something acceptable up before too long.

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/throw-money-gif-9.gif

I'd even be happy to help implement that - as a qualified and experienced programmer with many PCI compliant websites behind me.

For simplicity's sake, I'd highly recommend using Stripe and hosting a simple "Donation" page on the server.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:50 AM, arronm said:

As a min fix the donation input.  

OK, this has been fixed as requested. You can now give at minimum $2. Cumulative donations of $20 still applies to get the "Donating Member", as per this post -> https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/72533-donations-why-donate/

I'll hopefully have time to work on getting the patreon setup in the coming days, now that things have calmed down a bit in my life.