CJF077

Future of Site - Discussion

I don't want to sound negative here, but being in the hosting business I've got a fair idea on what sort of costs are associated to run a high volume site.

Moreso that over the last 15 years, that price has significantly dropped due to massive competition.

If you take into account the renewal cost of the Invision forum software with all features, 6 monthly renewals of "all invision" features is less than $20AU a month.

Given that the volume of traffic to this site has considerably dropped over the years, you could potentially run this site on a shared web host (like crazydomains) that provides php and mysql with unlimited disk space for less than the license renewal monthly costs.

Even if you needed more grunt with a VPS server to run it all would be well and truly under $150/M, which is the asking monthly price of a single Advertiser, it feels to me a little like a cash grab.

Even the Invision cloud based plans are quite cheap, and can be scaled to suit the active users. As a bonus, they do all patching/upgrades for you.

Sure there is other costs like domain name, ssl certificate (https/ssl is broken by the way), but none the less, costs associated can be compared to a couple of coffees

If this forum's running cost are over $500 a year, you're certainly doing something wrong.

I agree mostly with what Danny has said. The hosting situation can be made cheaper. This is why I definitely believe we can make this a crowd-supported website rather than an advertiser driven one even if the consistent membership base is reasonably small.

Welcome back, by the way.

That email out that Chris sent seems to have roused some interested people :) good job on that front, at least.

I've only been a member for a couple of yrs I don't do any of those social media sites as I prefer focused specific information without any melodrama. 

I'd be happy to pay $20 a year, the education alone is worth more especially as I've found this web site knows more about Ford turbos than the majority of dealerships. 

Edited by 06Turbo
Spelling error

Happy to pay for membership, this site has been helpful and the people on here are amazing, very helpful and knowledgeable. Definitely worth paying for!

35 minutes ago, Surfez said:

He has a point more than an attitude I think. The members who regularly use this forum for all manner of info will likely be happy to pay. A visitor who may seldom use the information will be scared off by fees. The info had value but it was gifted for free so moving forward admin will have to be cleaver... we've all started completing a competition form until the point you realise they are gathering info to market you crap you don't want to buy?  That's about the time a quit entering info in competitions. Fees will have a similar effect for new commers sadly. 

Unfortunately I tend to agree, I've been on many, many forums over the years of various types (mainly MC & Ford) and I doubt I would have gotten on most if I needed to pay upfront just to view stuff on them :uhuhuh:

I actually was mod and then admin on a MC specific site and we lost quite a number of members due to Farcebook as well as the fact it required you to join up as a member to view stuff even without having to pay and eventually had to close it as there wasn't enough members to make it worthwhile even with me just paying the basic costs :( 

Unfortunately Farcebook has cost a lot of sites membership as people seem to want that "instant" gratification of someone replying to them despite the fact that FB is absolutely useless to try and find any sort of historic information on :bangcomputer: The beauty of forums like these is the fact there is so much historical information that can be searched for a long time down the track :)

Possibly some sort of limited search function before making someone pay a minimal amount may work as then someone can get an idea of whether they can find a solution before coughing up any $ :dontknow:

I personally would be happy to pay to access more technical things like workshop manuals etc for a cost if they were available as opposed to just someone's opinions but realise that may be an issue from a copyright perspective :ermm: 

yeah; we let guests (non-signed-up people) view most of the stuff on the forum (from a technical perspective, basically everything). Signing up is only required for those who want to post or participate in events, sales etc. I agree that making a paywall for something that you can view for free is basically un-enforceable. :idunno:

Yep, we can't legally host the workshop manuals, unfortunately.

Wouldn't like to see any sort of fee for the core of the forum. Posting, searching viewing etc.

Perhaps the "off topic", non core stuff opens up to low level tier subscribers or something.

Maybe grandfather existing "donating members" to meet that requirement so no one who's supported the site in the past loses anything moving forward.

Something like that would leave a bonus for people who choose to support the community going into the future, wouldn't penalize anyone who has in the past and wouldn't put any demands on anyone who wants to still use the forum, but not willing/in a position to put in a few bucks to help with its continuation.

most of that, I'd agree with.

I think the ethos should change to something along the lines of voluntary monthly donations as there's absolutely no obligation or "owning" to anybody that way. I'll be the first one to jump on patreon if and when it starts :)

How would a patreon member differentiate from a non patreon member? We already have a donating members tag but I have a feeling that another "sticker" wont cut it.

@k31th, @CJF077, do you guys know if Invision?? would have a module?? that would support such a platform without too many headaches?

On 8/25/2018 at 6:19 PM, Puffwagon said:

How would a patreon member differentiate from a non patreon member? We already have a donating members tag but I have a feeling that another "sticker" wont cut it.

Just spitballing at the moment.

Donating or patreon get a gilded avatar or "Puff approved" sticker

Maybe change "donating member" tag to "Forum Supporter" tag to allow for both?

Or would you prefer to differentiate between the two?

Pretty sure they don't.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/438519-patreon-connect/

5 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

I'd find a way to differentiate them :)

3 minutes ago, k31th said:

Pretty sure they don't

Any platforms that they do?

Only used Patreon as it's the only one I know

nup, IPS only supports it's own internal donation system which admittedly is fine (it's what this forum currently uses), but doesn't have support for installment/subscription models.

Kk. Was worth a look.

Am sure an api to implement it would be pretty easy for any decent developer to script

;)

the whole "donations giving specific incentives" thing is the tricky part for the development, not the basic integration of saying "this patreon account links to this account in IPS and this user is pledging to donate $x per month".

If people use their same email address or let us know what username/address they're using for patreon, we can easily do the manual work for the small amount of patrons this site will probably have :)

If you want to offload it, hit me up.

I came here a while ago to chinwag with people thinking they'd be as friendly as most other car forums I'd been a part of in the past (namely RSLC, PF and Carandimage). However, the quality of the discussions I was involved in, or even perused, ended up becoming very basic very quickly. I discovered it was much easier to just rely on Google results to find the information I needed - whether that drove me back to FXT or not, I didn't care.

There are a handful of amazing contributors who really know their stuff. But the general IQ and ability to converse seems to be just marginally above 5 year olds flinging poo at each other. In the online space you need page views - as you're no doubt aware; and if people don't feel welcome they won't return, and they won't contribute. Simply posting to a thread that already exists is worth 3 page views on GA; then if somebody else responds and they get a notification, it can count to many more times that.

I believe there is a burgeoning subculture of Barra lovers (driven by Benny and MCM) who would be a significant new audience to the forums. But they're all very much from the Subaru/Nissan world where people aren't as simple. So you either change the governing tactics and encourage a supportive and rational discourse amongst your members (ie instil some sort of compassionate culture), or close up shop.

Alternatively, I will definitely take it off your hands and ensure it finds a good home.

I'm putting down a firm offer for $10,000 to buy it, subject to reviewing the analytics and confirming their accuracy.

You mean the part where I said something along the lines of encouraging people to be more compassionate and develop a stronger community, instead of alienating people by bludgeoning them with stupidity? You're right, what a sh*tty attitude.

My maths still stands to reason.

Arh, I haven’t posted or been on this page for years,

I must have joined back in 2009, and the place was unreal, I really miss those days,

When FB came along the place really fell down imo, but it seems to be going strong.

Well done to all that have keep the place going.

59 minutes ago, jellis said:

I'm putting down a firm offer for $10,000 to buy it, subject to reviewing the analytics and confirming their accuracy.

The site is worth far more than that, but you can PM/email the OP your offers of purchasing, if you feel like throwing your cash around :idunno:

You mean the part where I said something along the lines of encouraging people to be more compassionate and develop a stronger community

No, that part I agree with (more on that at the bottom).

instead of alienating people by bludgeoning them with stupidity? You're right, what a sh*tty attitude.

Well, I think you've got the wrong idea about us, completely. These claims are completely baseless ->

1 hour ago, jellis said:

...the quality of the discussions I was involved in, or even perused, ended up becoming very basic very quickly...

...the general IQ and ability to converse seems to be just marginally above 5 year olds flinging poo at each other...

...they're all very much from the Subaru/Nissan world where people aren't as simple. So you either change the governing tactics and encourage a supportive and rational discourse amongst your members (ie instil some sort of compassionate culture), or close up shop.

I agree that some governing tactics, as minimalistic as they currently are, if it all, could change, but that's not for discussion here, as yet. The idea of a compassionate culture is what we try to give out, with a bit of banter in between to keep things entertaining :)

Your input has been taken aboard, thanks.

1 hour ago, jellis said:

You mean the part where I said something along the lines of encouraging people to be more compassionate and develop a stronger community, instead of alienating people by bludgeoning them with stupidity? You're right, what a sh*tty attitude.

To be fair, I can appreciate that it may appear like this to someone who may have joined recently. BUT, there's many of us who have been around on this site for a long time and have seen a lot of the same stuff come and go. If someone comes on and says hello and asks some questions and genuinely seems to take an interest in being a part of the community then they get met with compassion and acceptance. It's the people who turn up with a chip on their shoulder and an elitist attitude that generally lands them in the "poo flinging" arena. The long time forum members I know are actually super compassionate and we've all shared and supported each other through a lot of both Ford and personal things over the years.

Ha. Look at all the members crawling out of the woodwork.

The golden years for me were 2007 - 2011. Really changed after the last major upgrade..

Edited by arronm