Hi guys newbie wanting more power

Barracitric

• Member For: 5y 7m 9d

Hi guys,

I am a proud owner of a bog stock ba Xr6turbo, absolutely love it and now am wanting to maximise  the amount of power from the standard parts on my car.

I recently added a manual boost controller and gained a few extra psi’s and absolutely love it. I think it maxes out to about 10psi and then it just cuts out. So I have since dialled it back to about 8psi and that seems to be the max I can get without encountering the cutout issue.

So my question to you guys out there that have been through this, what could be stopping my car from making more power? I understand ppl have recommended edit/capa which I will do later down the track but really all I’m wanting is a few psi’s at this point and something is currently restricting my car from making those few psi’s?

any my idea how much power the standard spark plugs are good for? Cheers

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

It's hitting the overboost threshhold. Unless you are tuning it yourself you will want to grab some injectors, a fuel pump and a tune for the best bang for buck. That'll be somewhere around the $1500 to $2000 mark supplied, fitted and tuned.

Also, stock plugs have made north of 800hp with adjusted gaps. Plugs are plugs for the most part.

• Member For: 5y 7m 9d

Thanks for the reply mate. I understand u can make heaps more power by adjusting the factory plugs however any idea how much kw these standard plugs can make  without gapping then? 

Thanks

Edited by Barracitric

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d
  • Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Dude, its cheap great plugs. Why pay $25 a plug.  Just trying to save people money, as you know...

PS- newbies always want more power.....

Edited by arronm

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
1 hour ago, Barracitric said:

how much kw these standard plugs can make  without gapping then?

In a stock car not a lot. They start to blow out around the 10psi mark give or take. You could use a spark booster to prevent that but that isn't the best/cheapest way to modify your car from stock.

You wont make power from gapping your plugs as a general rule, you'll just prevent the intake charge from being blown out.

I've seen a plug change make a 50hp difference but...you know...variables.