BA Fairlane Turbo!

skotty

• Member For: 10y 3m 2d

I've been told just changing to pcmtec it should pick-up some power. Alot more tables to modify or something, compared to the classic old xcal 3.. you tune the Territory yourself don't ya?

Seen your post on the gears, holy hell that's far from ideal! 

Edited by skotty

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 18d

Changing the tuning solution won't change how much power it makes. PCMTec does allow tuning of more tables than others, so in theory it can give a more refined tune.

Yeah I've been the only one to touch my territory tune and so far it's worked out. Managed over 700awkw so far! I'm sure there a few other guys that can do the job, but no need if I can do it myself.

Yeah man the whole oil pump failure sucks. I knew an oil pump body could fail but was hoping for the best....was not to be this time around.

If I tried to tune it myself I'd probably kill the poor old girl! It's a southern Adelaide built motor so need to be delicate with it or she'll go bang! 🤣

I wouldn't know where to begin with it! 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah mate if it's a built motor we can lean on it a bit, but if it's just bolt ons, we can take it a bit easier and make it happy there.

Pm me if you want or need some help, I'll be happy to work with what you've got ;)

• Like 1

Only spool rods, bf2 turbo pistons, head studs, XR6T Developments pump gears. From what I understand it's near its limits for stock pistons being relatively safe, 17psi 98 and 21psi e85. It does have a wind band in the innovate ECB-1 gauge

Been looking online at the J2534 cables you can use with PCMtec but yeh it's all over my head. I'd be better off paying the tuner for their time and knowledge By the time I buy the cable, the credits, and the software. I was watching a mate play with the tune on his AU XR6T the other day with a haltech PCM, and that was way over my head. Might need to do some research/reading up.. 

One thing I would love is my car to do E85 cold starts as good as my VF Calais 6ltr does them! But that's a car tuned for it from the factory too I guess! 

Edited by skotty

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I guess it depends if you want to learn to do it yourself. There is a lot to learn but once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad.

For example with the e85 cold start, I can tell you a table to change and it would likely start perfectly with just one or two changes. You would probably still need to do something so it drives out the driveway straight away after starting, without coughing etc, but once again that is just a minor change to another table.

If you do decide to go that way I'll be happy to give you pointers so you can get a handle on things quicker. You can get a demo of PCMTec so you can get familiar with it before purchase. I use the Tactrix cable and it's still going strong after a couple of years, just be sure to get a genuine one, not an ebay knockoff.

There is a lot of info over on their forum which I recommend having a good read of. There is a how to section that has made life a million times easier for beginners.

It'd be good to catch up with ya and have a chat, find out what options are etc etc.. I'm going to be at The Bend on the 18th dec, I'm guessing the terry will be running in a new engine then? I'm guessing at min you would of bent a few valves? 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yeah man, I might make it up there for a look but the territory will be pushed back to next year more than likely, got xmas coming up and having 4 kiddos (2 birthdays in November) means they get my car money at this time of year.

It has touched the valves but nothing looks bent, I'll pull the valves out and check them eventually.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took the old boosted lounge suite for a quick burn today! Nothing like going for a drive on a nice day, sunroof open, windows down, and some good tunes! 330km later for what was meant to be a 60km trip and I was home again! God I love this car! it's the oldest, highest mileage car in the fleet (316,xxx on the shell) here but its also the #1 fave!

20211121-121544.jpg

20211121-150721.jpg

20211121-125406.jpg

20211121-150654.jpg

Also got a seat base bracket for the a fire extinguisher too, since the car has had a boot fire before 😮 at AFF Drag nats in 2018..

20211119-193721.jpg

And tucked up in the shed, sleeping with its enemy/stable mate, the mighty L77 6ltr V8 of course! best of both worlds.

20211109-184920.jpg

Going to put it into daily duties for a few weeks and keep a eye on a coupe of quirks and hopefully its all good now! 

Also put a optima yellow top D34 battery in it the other day too, so will see how that goes... Seems to start a bit easier but my old battery was about 4 or 5 years old and had been ran dead flat a few times. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I was on a winner with this oil consumption issue... But nope - still shocking.. half the OK section for 600km with a bit of a flogging in there.. But once again from all accounts of people around me it doesn't blow smoke.. Although it does occasionally on startup and first take off of the day, valve stem seals were done back in January over this; unless I ballsed up and I ❤️ Bananased them... 

Does anyone have a rough idea how much oil the "ok" part of the stick is? As in 800ml-1L? 

For what it's worth the turbo intake is pretty well dry and the intake manifold is nice and dry too so IDK 

Edited by skotty