Cam upgrade

Callum1998

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 4m 4d

Hey guys, after some info on camming a xr6 turbo. I know a lot of people say that it’s not really worth it but it is something that I am really considering. I have around the 450rwkw mark at the moment with a gtx and e85. The sound of cams alone makes me want them but I am wondering what power increase I would see and what the car would be like on fuel, I currently get around 400ks to a tank of e85. Looking at tbre stage 1 or atomic 4.5

any one who has cams or knows bit about them please let me know how you find them.

cheers

• Member For: 6y 11m 14d

Bigger cams really just move power up in the rpm band. You will make some gains but you will sacrifice low to midrange torque depending on the cam size. If you do most of your driving at 4500-6000 RPM big cams would be better. Also, if you want to take advantage of larger cams you will also be looking at high stall convertors etc if auto.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 17d

With the introduction of pcmtec, a lot of the falcon specific advice about cams is outdated, as there is a greater level of cam control available now.

@Peppy_t92 is probably one of the best people to comment further, as he is one of the handful of people with real world experience with it.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 24d

I dont know about bigger cans, but hoon tune demonstrated same power with their entry level cam, but power/boost coming on 400rpm earlier, and the power band expanded by over 500rpm.

Looked pretty impressive.

• Like 1

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 14d

Big cams are good, makes the Barra sound decent and go hard.

Haven't noticed much change in freeway mileage if any but it does use a bit more around town, right foot may have gotten heavier though.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 4m 4d

I called tbre and they said there is no issues with stage one with standard converter and I can retain vct, my current tuner said you can make small adjustment with pcm tec on the stall up of a zf converter. I’m most worries about fuel consumption as ethanol doesn’t last long as it is. And I don’t want to spend the money then be un happy with how the car responds and drives.