SIMBADS TREAD

SIMBAD

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 27d

Good stuff! Glad your arm is coming good.

I feel your pain. The turbo in my BA died a few days after I received my oil feed kit but hadn't fitted it yet.

As a cheap way out for now, could you try and pick up a used 3576 off an FG? Always seems to be some for sale due to people upgrading. Would get you by for a while and you can sell it when you eventually upgrade.

When I bought my FG and was wrecking the BA, I had planned to reuse the turbo from the BA in the FG. But a week with the baby FG turbo and I was hooked due to the responsiveness. Sure it isn't going to make the big numbers, but is fantastic day to day.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 7d

Anyways, continuing from last night.

After pondering on options and searching high and low for answers. A msg or post from longboost on Facebook stated they will better any price I can find on Garrett turbos plus a host off most of the popular brands people use.

I stumbled across a gen 2 gtx3582r supercore for $2199 from Intunes website. I showed craig from longboost a screen shot of the advertised price and he bettered it. But once postage was factored in (~$60) it came in at $2200 anyway. Which I think was still pretty well priced delivered by someone reputable. I spoke to the Mrs some more and laid out a few options for her and she came to the party. Her ideas was it’s better to install a new turbo rather than getting something second hand. Admittedly I didn’t show her a standard Gt3582 cartridge or supercore and she didn’t pick up on the GT and GTX difference. But I told her it’s upgraded internally so won’t have anymore bearing problems 👀.

invoice was emailed and she fixed up the bill for me 😬

So she knew about this package coming!

My daughter got sent home from daycare the day before with temperature so she got to spend the day with me the next day when after 4 days of freight from qld to southern rural nsw I got a knock on the door.

C1drkV8.jpg

She was happy to help unpack and inspect the package 😁

VZJGTKR.jpg
M1cu6o3.jpg
IUqgs7y.jpg

she got upset when I packed it back up to put away so I think that means she approves.

While waiting during the week for the freight I had been tagging the Mrs in memes found on Facebook or Instagram stating “I bought her rings, So she bought me a turbo”

so she wanted to take photos of rings and turbo together. Have her some kicks out of it lol

whg6Clf.jpg

• Like 2

• Donating Members

A few weeks had gone by and finally found some time to start hooking in. 
MG2XtOU.jpg

TKoAFoA.jpg

y8KtUSL.jpg

Everything going smoothly until I encountered a support bracket under the turbo..

was a fair bit of cursing trying to get the bolt out. I swear I spent more time on that one bolt than the whole turbo removal.

uTGS3nI.jpg

Probably would of made it easier if I removed the engine mount to get past that top.

PVQn3gs.jpg

kKRJvbL.jpg

Makeshift work bench 

YJeVzZe.jpg

then to work out where to put this nipple

ZR7LYjA.jpg

felt a bit wrong taking to my new turbo with a drill.

VmSprFy.jpg

drilled and tapped 1/4npt
qAQEWUt.jpg

Looking at this gave me a idea that maybe it might be worth while attacking it with a die grinder at a later date when I can look into doing the flap mod.

TIi1J17.jpg

Banged it all back in there because needing to get the car back on the road.

bxEqvey.jpg

while I was underneath the car installing the new oil feed line I heard a little mumble from my little helper saying something about writing. 
A few moments later I thought I better pop back up after registering what I heard him saying...

9OxH9lm.jpg

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

oh gee... who'd have kids... :idunno:

10 minutes ago, SIMBAD said:

Everything going smoothly until I encountered a support bracket under the turbo..

was a fair bit of cursing trying to get the bolt out. I swear I spent more time on that one bolt than the whole turbo removal.

this is everybody who attacks this job for the first time... such a mental place for a bracket... the bottom-front bolt from turbo-to-manifold is bloody difficult and the bottom-back (in the engine mount) is such a PITA to get to for the bottom of the bracket, so you're screwed for either end of the bracket to undo, unless you have the right tools and a bit of forethought/knowledge of the situation :)

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Yeah I tried two different sets of ratchet spanners. 1/4” drives with knuckle and extensions and and a while host of ways. I can’t remember what was the best now. 
either way, bracket didn’t make its way back on. So should be a breeze for next time it comes off

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

yep... standard method for turbo failure... it's quite amazing that ford persisted with it after the B-series, too... at least they made it bigger and less prone to cause this sort of failure in the process...

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Next up I thought I’d get onto the next bit and fit up the Jonny tig kit. 

off with the front bar and start seeing what’s what.

aMmdyAu.jpg

removed all the stock pipework and eyeballed how much of the lip needed cutting out of the bar.

kqZflTI.jpg

7uXKAiD.jpg

Installed a couple nutserts 

qd3g6XL.jpg

q4bA2cv.jpg

bent up the aircon gas line

EMTCK60.jpg

Whallah!

LbFjnBK.jpg
WJo01U0.jpg

Was a little gap here but have since put a spacer in to bolt down better. Haven’t got a picture on my phone just now to show what I did exactly. Will fix up today.

DowfeDs.jpg

Started on the cold side pipes, battery  relocation and welded the BOV v band flange.

8anxPb5.jpg

Used some more nutserts for the battery tray.

IeQ2b1q.jpg

Had a little argument with the 3” 90’ to throttle body. Also had to trim it a little. I found using the hose clamp around the silicone joiner tightened slightly to use as a guide and straight edge for the Stanley knife blade made cutting it easy and neat.

weMVLhv.jpg

Then onto the hot side

ZWuGljB.jpg

4Ab5iB9.jpg

xLmCKfC.jpg

8w6GbaF.jpg

HQiO5u6.jpg

XbsUu9w.jpg

• Like 1