SIMBADS TREAD

SIMBAD

• Member For: 12y 1m 19d

Just remember that bigger turbos can be better for stock engines as they're not making ALL the torque in the midrange where ol mate rodney gets unhappy. As long as you have a good timing setup and oil pump gears, your better off making the majority of your power higher in the rev range. As long as you can deal with the lag though

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 17d

So I though I’d suss out this ceramic coating hype. 

This wasn’t a quick adventure by any chance as it took me almost 2 and a half days of scrubbing. Yeah could of been done quicker but every day life kind of gets in the way and some distractions and rest breaks got me in between but over all I am happy with the outcome.

Day one consisted of a wash with CarPro reset, decontamination with waxit claybar and concours purify as lube. Followed by another wash with CarPro reset, chamois and blow dry with my 18v Bosch blower. Followed by a final alcohol rub down with CarPro eraser before I had to call it a day.

OAbrp3c.jpg

Wa8PWES.jpg

pcpMxhk.jpg

Here you can see the the purify working eating away at the iron fallout/particles turning the specs into purple liquid. Combined with the clay bar to lift and remove from the paint work:

T9h4Ddr.jpg

Then another wash with reset:

l2gfwFv.jpg

GwKWl51.jpg

Mandatory pic of the brakes. I’ve gown in love with the colour now. Different lighting give it a different “pop”

mIlaVEE.jpg

Day 2 started off with removing tar and sap with “tarsus” and another alcohol wipe down with CarPro eraser followed by a light compounding with my “mothers professional” random orbital machine using “poorboys world SSR 1.0” as a light swirl remover.

YZtnC4v.jpg

G20aQU2.jpg

44acUr1.jpg

Another wash with CarPro eraser and then a chamois/blow dry and alcohol rub down before I started with applying Cquartz UK 3.0

Shine of 1 coat:

vo82YE3.jpg

4EcNKfz.jpg

Then whole goving some time to cure, I got onto the wheels next.

This process consisted of “concours purge” reactive wheel cleaner. 

K69H7pD.jpg

Almost the same chemical as the “concours purify” only stronger. Same smell but noticeably more potent under the nose. Does an excellent job too.

I let sit for a couple minutes and then agitated it with a dish washing brush. When it started to dry I used the garden hose “mist” setting do introduce more moisture and make scrubbing with the dish washing brush easier:

USNnieU.jpg

Then hosed it down to be left with tar..

uHoLAem.jpg

h8fIuQv.jpg

to remove the tar I used rags soaked in “autosmart TARDIS”

This stuff works a treat without too much elbo grease. Pretty much sat the wheels up on a wheelie bin to help with my now tight back and legs from squatting. And just went to town on two wheels at a time enjoying the shade.

Next up was applying a wheel sealant. I used “McKee’s 37 wheel glaze” after giving the wheels another alcohol rub down with “CarPro eraser”.

AVIp16X.jpg

Coated wheels:

D0fitfg.jpg

4u3R90y.jpg

By this stage in the afternoon it was time to go get the kids from day care and then have another crack at the second coat of “Cquartz UK 3.0” when the Mrs got home from work.

After coating again I left I the garage over night to cure.

Day 3: Next morning began with a super quick blow and wipe to rid the settled dust particles from over night and then had a wipe down with “CarPro RELOAD”.

Pics taken just before lunch time.

Phone photo quality does not do it any justice. Also always going to be hard to capture the gloss on a white car but here’s the outcome. 

xF6t9b4.jpg

OCvyOF2.jpg

WAPcSMB.jpg

IuF12D7.jpg

QKMZSCY.jpg

MFhYRY7.jpg

ffPL4wp.jpg

S4Z8C9R.jpg

All in all, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a white car as shiny/glossy as mine ever. I know the pics don’t show it but it has to be seen I person to truly understand. 

I tried this coating mainly because of its claimed durability. This car lives out in the weather and is my daily drive commuting to work and fetching kids etc.

The true turning points that got me to try was a heap of research and stumbling across these videos on YouTube about the product. 

20 way comparison: note 1 year and 8 months..

34 way comparison:

Those are the current most recent updates but if go through this guys videos you’ll find the start. And the whole process these have been going through..

Another video worthy of watching if you are interested in going to this same path. 

Anyways, Now the test of time will tell if this was all worth while to me. But as it stands right now, I’m extremely happy with the way my car looks now. And keen to see how it’s looks after the first wash in a week or two.

cheers, Sam. 

• Like 5

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Excellent write up and post about the wash liquids :spoton:

MA77Y vic numberplate (can't remember off the top of my head what his forum name is...) is also a white BA and he takes similarly excellent care of his vehicle :turboboink:

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Awesome! I’ll have to try find his so I can compare hahaha

Wouldn’t read about it but my car has already had a sprinkle of rain on it followed by a dust storm and a few more sprinkles today. I’ll see how it looks when I knock off work tonight lol :thumbdown:

with a bit of luck hopefully hoses off nicely :dancing:

• Donating Members

Said dust storm:

87WxycF.jpg

Can usually see hills and farmland but currently can only see maybe 800m.

And yeah the car park is straight down there but view is blocked by walkway leading to the boiler house.

side note: I’ve found a couple pics of MA77Y car. ebxmple or something. Looks like it’s on vertini fairlady wheels and another of his engine bay which does look sweet with the white cam cover and plenum top. Gave me some ideas for mine when the time comes anyways :happyfriends:

Edited by SIMBAD

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I live in a similarly dusty place in the mid north of South Australia.

I'm interested to see how your efforts translate into keeping the car clean in those conditions.

My car is black and needs a wash every two to four days to stop it looking dirty.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Just belted down rain for 10 mins and the dust has settled down nicely. No longer need to squint and I feel like I breathing some clean air again haha.

yeah I’m definitely interested to see how my car looks now. Have to wait until 18:30-19:00 though..

lESDdRh.png

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d
  • Donating Members

Well the rain/dust definitely left my car looking dirty again. Mostly just on the horizontal planes of the car.(bonnet, boot, roof, door handles etc.

GmzJXhB.jpg

LbKQEuR.jpg

QxjA5z4.jpg

Driving home was different watching the beads of water come tumbling towards me from the bonnet though you could notice the water beads collecting the dirt getting darker in colour before being flung onto the windscreen. 

So now I’m home I pull the hose out and give the car a once over. 

8R6J7Mt.jpg

GALrsHz.jpg

At this point I guess I wasn’t surprised with the outcome. Cleaned up really well. At this point I’m happy. Now to really test how durable it will be and how it turns out after say 5-10 washes with soap.

This final photo As the sun was setting. Everything had a bright orange tinge and I thought it looked cool. Photo doesn’t do it justice though. 

PWhHUJb.jpg

• Like 1