SIMBADS TREAD

SIMBAD

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 17d

Ok cheers. I looked at that one but got caught up in the crimped vs screw on fittings with the earls lines from said old thread. 5w40 edge it is. I must of had the royal purple 10w on my mind when I wrote.

ebay is selling the edge in 6L for $72 delivered. Yes 6L bottles lol

How much oil do these things hold?

• Member For: 5y 11m 22d
21 hours ago, SIMBAD said:

I reckon my old 4runner would outlast me lol basically a tractor. Only think I hated about it is the independent front suspension. Chews through tie rod ends as well as bending the idler arm. Lost count on how many times I’ve replaced those. Mostly from hitting hill climbs that I probably shouldn’t. I’ve threatened solid axle swap on the old girl numerous times using 80 series diffs and coil/link set up. But just don’t wheel it like that anymore. Not like I used to. So is just a beater to take me to work mostly and drag my boat or trailer to the tip.

Tig welding is the go. Bit more effort but looks much prettier especially when you walk the cup and less blowing of holes

My tig welder is just a cigweld 170 amp lift tig and won’t do aluminium. I also never learnt to do aluminium which I’m kicking myself over now. Would be cool to make up a nice forward facing plenum. 

Ive also pondered on making intercooler piping from stainless and doing it all in that lobster tail style bends but I feel like that style of bends will turbullate the air a fair bit as well as heat sink the pipes more than alluminium. Probably won’t affect anything enough for me on my car to really notice but in my mind I just much prefer a smother flow path. I’ll flirt with the idea more though when the time comes.

I had an old 84 4runner about 11 or 12 years ago. Was my second 4wd. Solid axel front, had a Expensive Daewoo 253, plenty of power, sounded great with 2.5" exhaust. I completely rebuilt both diffs/axels with auto lockers. 33" tyres and small lift. It loved the fuel, and always ran hot, but it went anywhere and was heaps of fun!

Yeah I love the tig. Bought myself a Unimig razor 200 ac/dc a couple of years ago. Good little welder. Aluminium is definitely harder to pick up than SS or mild steel I think. Cooler piping I think I'm going with ali, just because bends and tube are easier to get in thin wall 2.5 to 3". Also my bead roller probably won't do 1.6mm wall SS.

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d
9 hours ago, SIMBAD said:

Ok cheers. I looked at that one but got caught up in the crimped vs screw on fittings with the earls lines from said old thread. 5w40 edge it is. I must of had the royal purple 10w on my mind when I wrote.

ebay is selling the edge in 6L for $72 delivered. Yes 6L bottles lol

How much oil do these things hold?

Yep didn't see that.   That company normally doesnt sell the crimped ones. Dont buy crimped.   Call them and get them to make you one up.

The last one I got from them was all black with black heat sleeve.  Posted the wrong link.  That link is engine parts Australia.  You want GJ drivelines.  

https://www.gjdrivelines.com.au

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1

• Donating Members

Things are looking up in actually receiving the steering wheel. Got a picture message of the tracking numbers stuck on the Aus post box it appears to be coming in. And the tracking details already show that it is at  Whyalla norrie SA post office. 

• Donating Members

Cheers arronm. Is that from gjdrivelines website you showed? What are the prices like through them?

I seen another guy here cut as soldered the factory hard line. I may look into this as well though with compression fittings. Might struggle with adaptors though to work with the -4an thread

Edited by SIMBAD

• Donating Members

Got this bad boy in the mail today. Cheering

Z02ZTDI.jpg

00XnZoO.jpg

hopefully I get a chance to install this evening and hopefully it is as straight forward a swap as I’ve been envisioning. 

Looks like I’ll have to dig around for my set or torx bits and I’m guessing finding those will be the hardest part since I haven’t laid eyes on them since I moved out of home.

Over the next few weeks I’ll be installing new Monroe GT lowered shocks with the second hand kffl-57sl x springs I bought months ago.

Also will be dropping the diff cradle and re doing the 3 diff support bushes and also new oil filter and Castrol edge 5w40 full synthetic oil with earls inline filter.

Once I have that out of the way I’ll look at servicing the zf with the genuine zf lifeguard fluid and maybe install a external cooler for it also.

• Like 2

• Donating Members

After searching high and low trying to figure out the ride hight of these kffl-57slx springs I now have some concerns of them being too high for my taste..

ideally id like just the SL spring. I do like the SSL but afraid that once the SSL settles it will be too low.

reasons for concern:

3vEJZ4A.png

3uinpTM.png

These are the only pics I could find on the SL X springs I have for the fronts and haven’t found anything else related on them this far..

I might fit the the ones I have up and see how it goes. But I think ride hight won’t really change much and probably ads more stiffness which I don’t necessarily want either.

I will be using the Monroe shortened shocks and don’t know if the car above is still using the stock shocks. I’m unsure if that even makes a difference to the finished ride hight or not. 

Edited by SIMBAD