SIMBADS TREAD

SIMBAD

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 17d

I managed to offload the fpv wheel centre caps I bought to use in the silver argents that never came surprisingly quicker then expected. I copped a lot of criticism on Facebook groups regarding the price. But I got what I paid for them plus postage on top so happy days.

So now I have that money back in the kitty I have turned my attention to something else I’ve wanted to rectify. The Standard skinny noodle steering wheel (I’ve been used to holding onto more girth since forever for some reason). I’ve noticed the difference big time between my GT to the turbo so I’ve been on the hunt for something fairly decent since I bought it.

I have narrowed it down to between these two. Both similarly priced delivered. Ones bf doc and the other ones is bf Fairmont ghia.

fpv

6VvYL9D.jpg

Jb4aZr6.jpg

ghia

zKu94fw.png

hUolymd.png

the ghia wheel is about $30 cheaper and looks in almost immaculate condition. Plus I kind of like the grey wood grain. I have only ever seen the ghia ones with a brown wood grain or silver. 

I am kind of torn between the two, but writing this now I’m leaning slightly to the ghia wheel. (I have changed my mind a few time between the two over the last week or two now. So I’ve tried a little haggling to see what kind of numbers I can achieve delivered which will determine which one I pull the trigger on this weekend).

• Member For: 5y 11m 22d

I like the ghia one too.

Nice write up btw. Can't believe you still have your first car! I was on my third by the time I was off my Ps lol.

Another mech fitter here too. Have done a fair bit of fab work but only started tig welding nearly 3 years ago. Feel in love with it. Definitely prefer it over mig. Can't wait to start making a few bits for my bunky xr. Intercooler piping and forward facing plenum will be my first projects. 

Keep up the good work with the build and write up :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
9 hours ago, SIMBAD said:

I copped a lot of criticism on Facebook groups regarding the price.

You get that mate. Idiots have worked out how to use the internet ;)

I'm enjoying the thread as are many others that haven't said so yet. Keep it up mate :)

• Thanks 1

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Haha I had a guy message me on Facebook just to tell me he thought the price was ridiculous for my engine and turbo, and then offered me $200 for my turbo because "you can get a new one on eBay for like $350 champ".

• Like 2

• Donating Members

One that stood out a lot was a guy saying he knew blokes from v8 supercar crews and could get them to source caps for $10 each for him. Then told me he could have them made. Which I said I could make them myself also but they wouldn’t be genuine fpv items.

22 hours ago, Renton said:

I like the ghia one too.

Nice write up btw. Can't believe you still have your first car! I was on my third by the time I was off my Ps lol.

Another mech fitter here too. Have done a fair bit of fab work but only started tig welding nearly 3 years ago. Feel in love with it. Definitely prefer it over mig. Can't wait to start making a few bits for my bunky xr. Intercooler piping and forward facing plenum will be my first projects. 

Keep up the good work with the build and write up :thumbsup:

Regarding the ghia wheel I’m waiting for a postage quote and hopefully on the way Monday.

I reckon my old 4runner would outlast me lol basically a tractor. Only think I hated about it is the independent front suspension. Chews through tie rod ends as well as bending the idler arm. Lost count on how many times I’ve replaced those. Mostly from hitting hill climbs that I probably shouldn’t. I’ve threatened solid axle swap on the old girl numerous times using 80 series diffs and coil/link set up. But just don’t wheel it like that anymore. Not like I used to. So is just a beater to take me to work mostly and drag my boat or trailer to the tip.

Tig welding is the go. Bit more effort but looks much prettier especially when you walk the cup and less blowing of holes

My tig welder is just a cigweld 170 amp lift tig and won’t do aluminium. I also never learnt to do aluminium which I’m kicking myself over now. Would be cool to make up a nice forward facing plenum. 

Ive also pondered on making intercooler piping from stainless and doing it all in that lobster tail style bends but I feel like that style of bends will turbullate the air a fair bit as well as heat sink the pipes more than alluminium. Probably won’t affect anything enough for me on my car to really notice but in my mind I just much prefer a smother flow path. I’ll flirt with the idea more though when the time comes.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Took the wife and kids plus the newest addition to the family for a squirt up the hills to Cabramurra and back today in the Mum bus rad-rado 

UUG7CH5.jpg

Yk2T1yc.jpg

b6enbT0.jpg

KWhc8xM.jpg

qEe6FOM.jpg

iZjJdIQ.jpg

NdcXI97.jpg

1jwk4Q6.jpg

MNLZzW4.jpg

And this little one I’m listing to whinging and howling at the moment... the newest addition: Rufus (was time for us to pull over and we both make some yellow snow)

OARCTUU.jpg

Edited by SIMBAD
iPhone auto correct corrections
  • Like 2

• Donating Members

Well, pulled the trigger on the FPV steering wheel. He got back to me first. Says it will be posted tomorrow and will give me tracking details. Coming from Adelaide. 

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Also the car is just about due for a service. Will be using motorcraft oil filter and thinking 10w40 full synthetic Castrol edge titanium. Also looking into the turbo oil feed line. Looked at the earls ones on eBay but have recently found some conflicting reviews of their stuff. Though the threads I had seen was from at least 5 years ago so I’m guessing they’ve sorted their crap out now? Or do I just not worry and remove the factory filter and keep the hard line? What seems to be the go in that regard these days?

cheers

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

No 10-40 edge. Buy 5-40.

You can just remove turbo filter , but if you buy filter I like this one.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-EARLS-FORD-BA-BF-TURBO-OIL-LINE-FILTER-KIT-XR6-FPV-F6-TYPHOON-FALCON/401001041164?hash=item5d5d864d0c:g:b4AAAMXQATlRaDbp

Edited by arronm
  • Thanks 1