SIMBADS TREAD

SIMBAD

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

yep the post 06/2006 build XR6T BF's (which are mostly BF mk2's) have the slightly stronger piston and conrod combination in the BA F6's earlier.

• Thanks 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 2m 17d

Funny story about this one.

After contemplating between silver argents and fg Xr6 lux packs I figured I’d go with the silver argents. Mainly because I could fit brembos behind them without issues and everyone and their dog seems to have dark argents. 

Initially I found a bloke on Facebook marketplace for a set of 5 genuine silver argents in ratty condition (guttered and stone chips galore but no buckles), no tyres and no centrecaps for $400 plus $25 each rim delivered. So $525 bank deposit to him, about $200 in Duplicolor paint, primer and clear plus another $250 in genuine fpv centrecaps while I waited. Organised a lathe to use to clean up the rash and also organised to be sent to wagga for sandblasting at Tasman grit with my brothers xy he just finished doing rust repairs on that he is fully rebuilding. 

After all of that a month passed and the bloke hasn’t even sent them. 

Ignored messages and excuses about finding the right size boxes to send them and blah blah blah I’m thibkibg I’ve been taken for a ride. 

I was speaking to Daniel (dans fpv parts) and he did recommend said bloke to me saying he is legit. But told him what was going on. Got him in the loop about the goings on with the wheels and my money. After about 8 weeks and help from dan I had my money back (pretty sure someone else offered said bloke more and sold them on me to someone able to pick them up there and then).

I have to give credit to Dan. He is A top bloke and I would recommend getting any used parts through him to anyone. Helped me out a bunch here. I was sure I had lost $525 over these wheels.

Anyways, after all that drama I sat down thinking what next, these wheels are a pain to find and then had a thought. A bloke I’ve played a bit of golf with here as well as went to tafe with for the same apprenticeship had bought a brand new fg gs with the 5.0 Supercharged motor a few years ago had put aftermarket wheels on it As soon as it was up for new tyres. So last week I send him a msg asking if he had the silver argents still and he said he did. Asked if I was after a set and I said I was considering silver argents for my turbo. He come back and said he doesn’t really know what they’re worth but $800. So I said $700 and he said done. And dropped them off to me the next day. WINNING lol

• Like 1

• Donating Members

After doing some scratching around on the web looking for intercoolers. I’ve come to the conclusion that I like the Plazmaman stuff over process West. Haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet as I’m still hoping I can find something decent second hand for the right price up until I can definitely get in for a tune. Which will be some time away yet.

So what I have my eyes on at the moment is the 1000hp intercooler over the 800hp. Doesn’t seam to be a big difference in price and bigger is better right?

with that I had a look at their piping kits to suit. So 1000hp hot side and cold side to suit oem plenum. I like the looks of the forward facing plenum but for my $4000 car which just rolled over 170000km I don’t want to spend too much on it.

After looking at the hot side pipes listed on their site I noticed the option of the .5 and .7 cover “upgrade” which got me thinking again.

Is changing from .5 to .7 that beneficial? Should I be on the look out for a .7 cover and backing plate to potentially swap over? I do remember reading somewhere once upon a time that a bloke did just this and managed to make the same power as before but 2 or 3 psi less boost. ?

I will probably make my own turboside intake/box, oil catch can and 4” dump pipe with a ballistic cat. Then possibly use the standard cat back exhaust as I like the quietness of it. Or maybe even concider the stainless 2.5” xforce for $850 odd I seen listed somewhere as it is apparently reasonably quiet anyway.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

a GT3582R with just a .7 front cover (and other supporting mods) did a 9sec pass back in the day, so it can have a benefit, but there are more proven pathways for turbo upgrades. If you're going for 350ish at maximum, then you definitely don't need the .7 front cover as you'll just introduce some lag.

• Thanks 1

• Donating Members

I feel like I should keep the current turbo as is. Had a brand new core go in not all that long ago. It’s maybe 15000 km old.

But yeah 350 is a ballpark figure I’d like. I don’t want to build the motor. But I’d be happy to do valve springs and pump gears/timing set

At what sort of boost and power figures would warrant changing out the head bolts?

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Ditch the std exhaust and go twin 2.5 min if on budget. BA BF exhaust is really restrictive.. , especially the cat.

• Thanks 1

• Donating Members

I don’t plan on using the standard cat. Though I would be making my own stainless 4” dump pipe and use a 100cpi ballistic cat.

The main concern for me is I’d like to keep this car relatively quiet. And keeping costs down as much as possible on a car that initially cost me 4g would be a bonus.