FG XR6T Build Details Unopened EFR 9180

absmith

• Member For: 5y 3m 24d

@absmithI'm looking at the efr8474 with .83 turbine housing. From your pictures the 9180 side by side with the gt3576 or gt3582r it looks like the. 83 on your 9180 is physically larger than the gt's 1.06. How did you think they compared in size? I don't want to go smaller than the stock 1.06 on a new turbo but the .83 looks good. The efr 8474 is 950hp rated. What hp is your 9180? I wonder if exhaust housings are different sizes between 9180 and 8474.

• Member For: 15y 11m 13d

From memory every part of the 9180 was bigger than the gt3582r...

It's a while back now but I recon I would go high mount if your keen on the 9180, it's just so much longer than the original turbo and becomes a nightmare with power steering pump clearance ect. I still have the car, no issues since doing the modifications, but again I think I would go high mount and am considering other turbo options in future.

I think the 9180 was 1000hp rated but in my opinion there is no way this is achievable on a barra on 98 fuel. My guess would be 600hp, maybe some more with water meth. E85 is not really an option here availability wise.

The .83 on the EFR is definitely larger than stock.

• 3 months later...

@absmith It sounds like you get surprising awesome spool from that turbo with a 91mm exducer compressor wheel. Have you got any photos of your compressor inlet pipe and your power steer pump without the reservoir on it? A 4inch intake pipe must be very very tight getting from airbox to turbo, I'd love to see that. I reckon with that turbo you'd be making a good 450rwkw at 25psi. Sounds awesome, I'm still contemplating a efr8474 and will have the same fitment issues as you. Is the iwg actuator ok being in that hot area? What psi spring is in it?

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys, what do you reckon a borg 9174 with t4 1.05 twin scroll on a sinco manifold and 60mm ts external gate would be like for the street? Too laggy? Theres a kit here in nz for sale for a good price. Would need p steer res relo and probably alloy rad overflow tank. Probably be as laggy as gtx3582r im guessing and alot of messing around to fit.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Nah man chuck a 3500 converter in it and it'll be on nearly instantly. It wouldn't be my first pick for a stock engine though, too much power lol.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Stock is about 2500, it varies with how much power the engine makes. A high stall converter will use slightly more fuel, it makes the car feel a fair bit quicker it of roundabouts etc, it basically make a large turbo act like a medium turbo. It creates more trans heat. You can get a stock converter modded for about $700. It really is an excellent mod imo :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

You still retain the lockup which can be tuned to suit, so at cruise the economy and heat will be the same. When it's unlocked there is more slip there, hence more heat introduced to the trans fluid.

It will feel pretty much the same when driving normally, the shifts will be a bit smoother and it wont drop as much rpm between shifts. It's when you press the pedal a bit more the rpm will be a bit higher than normal, which in turn provides more power and spools the turbo at lower road speeds. As an example of shifting with 50% throttle, if you manually shift at 4000rpm it will change gear but it will stay at 4000rpm instead of dropping down to 3200 or whatever it usually would. It's great for keeping a big turbo in boost at lower rpm.

@Puffwagon and whoever else that has valuable info,  im looking at high mount efr 9174 on sinco tune length manifold, Does heat become a problem with high mount turbo? What other issues is there if I go down this road? The guy selling the kit reckons there is just enough room to get a 4 inch inlet pipe in without relocating power steer res. Kit has a ts 60mm gate which I will plumb back in. I wont know how much room everything has for clearances till I have mocked it up on engine. I will need a new 4inch inlet pipe to airbox. New 4inch custom dump, new alloy overflow tank. Does the weight of a big manifold and big turbo hanging off side become a problem? Cheers guys