XR6T Replacement Options??

PAH

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 10d

Guys,

My 2008 FG XR6T is almost 10 years old.  First registered Feb 2009.  It's the longest I've kept a car.  EVER!!  But it's ten years old.  What are the logical options?

Mustang:  V8 sounds great. It's a two door with limited rear seat passenger room.

Kia Stinger:  OK economy.  It's a four door.  Good grunt.  It's on my short list.  Wish it was 300+ kws from the factory.

BMW 140i.  6 cylinder turbo grunt.  Back seat is a bit tight.  Indicator on the wrong side of the steering column.

Commode ZB.  NO V8!!  NO TURBO 6!!  East west engine layout. 

Camaro with factory RHD.  It doesn't exist.  :-(

Subaru STI.  Does it have WRX goodies such as Direct Injection?  Does it have a high tech turbo like the WRX?  Where in the rev range does torque appear?

Have I overlooked an obvious car?  The Kia Stinger looks like it's towards the top of an enthusiast's shopping list.  

PAH

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 7d

Are you going to keep the falcon or sell it? I decided to hang onto mine and bought a Ford Focus RS last year, fun small car - but not very practical.

A bit out there looks wise, but the Honda civic Type R is getting rave reviews for a FWD car.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

How much power do you want.

Low K VF GTS  or F6 or XR8

All the new cars are crap. Maybe keep what you got.

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

You would hope so but...

"Australian buyers can expect the Camaro's 6.2-litre (6162cc) V8, good for 339kW and a whopping 617Nm."

They'll be saving the supercharger upgrade for the folks that want to fork out another 30 grand on top of the purchase price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 10d

IF Expensive Daewoo is smart (and they want the [hearts rule heads] zealots back) they will press GM US for a RHD Camaro ASAP.  That should make it cheaper . . . and let HSV charge $80k to $90k for a blown Camaro.  I bet there's no way a base Camaro would match the price of the XR8 or Bogan special.

It's a shame that Mustang prices have crept up as much as they have.  And I read this about the Mustang's new auto:

It’s the Mustang’s newest – and perhaps most crucial – element that proved its Achilles heel on test: the 10-speed automatic transmission.

From a cold start and at walking pace in Drive and Normal modes the shift from first to second gear (approximately 15-20m from setting off) produced a moment of free-spin following by a tremendous thud into gear.  It happened every morning with both Mustangs we drove, each with approximately 5000km on the clock, doing little to fill us with confidence.

https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-mustang-gt-2018-review-113984/?s=mustang

But still, there's the 5 year warranty and we know we have Ford Customer Care to look after our best interests ...    

I wonder if the current sales slump will result in increased bargaining power for those keen on a Mustang:

Sports cars under $80k are essentially all down - that segment is off the pace a massive 43 per cent.  Mustang: almost 41 per cent down, Mazda MX-5: almost 56 per cent off the pace, and Toyota 86 down almost 36 per cent.

https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/best-new-car-deals-this-month-how-the-july-sales-slump-helps-you

The Kia Stinger is producing its very impressive grunt on poopy 91 RON fuel.  I'd like to see Kia offer a 95 RON tune.  They could offer it as a freebie to encourage customers to buy their $2500 zorst.  The good thing about the Stinger is that it's a four door so it's a family car. 

But if our XR6T's are tidy they've got something no new car has.  Nowhere to go on the depreciation slippery slide!  Our XR6T's have already been savagely beaten by depreciation.  If they're going well why buy a new car and sign up for another $40k loss over the next 5 years? 

PAH

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 8m 15d

I will probably look to update my car soon too (I have a 2008 FG F6) - it is also the longest I have had any car!

For me it's tough, as I want a manual transmission, and that is getting harder to find these days...

A reasonable option would seem to be the AUDI S3 Sedan: https://www.caradvice.com.au/549052/2017-audi-s3-sedan-review/photos/

Jake.