FG Sedan Diff Oil Leaky

PAH

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 10d

Guys,

The diff in my 2008 FG XR6T is a tad weepy.  There's a small oil leak somewhere.  What's it likely to be and how much to fix?  The car has travelled 120k kms.  Is there anything else that should be serviced at the same time?  New oil I guess.  Anything else?

PAH

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

well, it depends what's causing the leak, as to the expense.

Clean it up and then flush/replace the oil and see if it continues. If it does, then you'll need to be pulling it apart to repair the seal or mechanical piece that has failed.

If you have to pull it out, then servicing the bushes in the rear end is ideal at that time. If you chuck in some better ones in the diff repair process, it's likely you will not want to sell it as it'll be "like new" again :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 2m 10d

K3ith,

Thanks mate.  I am already running the toughest bushes from WHOLESALE SUSPENSIONS (Arndell Park NSW).  They're good guys.  They've looked after me as a forum member more than a few times.  

My tools of trade used to be Ripley buffer strippers and polishing pucks but I now prefer to wash whiteboard marker off my pinkies.  Diff gear oil is not my thing any more.  I had a go at fitting new disc pads supplied by Vic Performance Parts.  OWW the back ache!  That's what I like about my Zimmer Frame ... very few serviceable parts in need of repair!  I guess any of the XR6T Tuners in Sydney could change the diff seals for me.   I might give Spiro a call.

PAH