BF XR6 - handling issues whilst accelerating in wet

Brad3199

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

@camo86T and @OZYWALKER have high powered utes. @Ford Freak might still have one too :pandalol:

All of these guys can talk from experience. 

An open diff won't deliver power evenly though so that could be what's going on.

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

@Brad3199 when you say "in a straight line" I presume you're not dumping the clutch....and that you've driven manual for a while

The last time I had an experience like you're describing was probably about 12 years ago, used to happen regularly in the work ute, but that was a trayback 2.7L hilux with sh*tty 185s all round.

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Member For: 12y 14d

Reminds me of my old FG XR6T in the wet - roll-on in pretty much any gear and as soon as it got a whiff of boost the back end jumped out. Good times :wwww: But yes, sounds like it's the tyres.

• Member For: 6y 23d

I've often wondered the same thing. My FG XR6T sedan does the same thing, and it's running near new Goodyear Eagle F1 Directionals - not some dodgy rubbish. When the rear breaks traction it'll snap sideways occasionally. Very, very unpredictable and lightning quick to go. I thought it was normal for LSD... It's not??

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Member For: 12y 14d

To be honest, probably more a reflection of the chassis and overall handling dynamics of the vehicle, than LSD and tyres alone. My Bogan special-R didn't even remotely behave like that - was very much more planted and well behaved.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I only use cheap semis cos nothing lasts longer than 3 months and although the car wants to keep going around when you are doing donuts, it goes straight when you powerskid. At the local track I've had it skidding and sideways but going straight at 140kph with no issues apart from a puckered butt hole.

@k31th asked me how I keep it straight when we went on the cruise and I thought it was an odd question cos you just floor it and steer with a gentle correction every now and then.

It's gotta be a front or rear alignment thing that is causing some cars with lsd's to try and kill ya. I have stiffer blade and diff bushes so that might be a factor?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

haha, that question was asked to specifically find out how your own steering corrections are input, if you do anything normally. For me, with powerful falcons with a decent rear-end stiffness setup (just better bushes), going straight is perfectly normal on straight roads with good quality tyres and when they do let go, it doesn't kick. I find they kick when you've got slight lock on the steering wheel and it'll predictably kick out with the centripetal force direction based on the steering angle (or if hte road has obvious camber, it'll kick out on gravity assist from the road camber).

• Member For: 6y 23d

Is this with TC off I assume?? I generally drive with TC on and only turn it off when I "know" I'll need it off. Maybe TC cuts in weirdly on one wheel and the 'free' wheel flicks the car??

Mine is a manual so no powerskids. I recently had a wheel alignment done too...

Edit: Keith's reply above.. Maybe it's road camber that's killing me actually, come to think of it. My rear end is tight and running Nolathane bushes (put in by previous owner)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

TC is unpredictable... so I wouldn't rely on it to help other than in scenario's that you really don't want to be out of control and you can simultaneously let go of the steering (or at least no further inputs) and push the brake if necessary (but at least let go of the throttle) and it'll then cut power at the same time you do and that'll probably correct most basic kick situations quickly enough to a state where you can go onwards again.

Yes, if you want to do "spirited driving", of course turn the TC off, but TC stays on otherwise.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I don't bother with tc as it is more predictable when it's off. After a couple of WOT pulls it switches off by itself anyway. You get some pretty good choo choos when it's on in the wet.

11 minutes ago, k31th said:

how your own steering corrections are input, if you do anything normally.

I don't have any magic formula to not losing it. Some cars are easier than others to keep straight.

• Like 1