Brad3199

BF XR6 - handling issues whilst accelerating in wet

Hi guys,

My first post here. I recently purchased a BF XR6 Uterus which I have been very happy with. Unfortunately it's my first car with a decent amount of torque (my other vehicles have all been Jap 4 cyl's).

The XR6 handles fine in the dry, but in the wet if I'm going in a straight line and give it a boot in 2nd or 3rd, I lose traction and the rear kicks out to the right in a fraction of a second. I came very close to losing it today which is why I am after some advice.

Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks

Edited by Brad3199

While I'm not a ute dude I have owned a ute before and have poked a uterus once or twice.

@OZYWALKER will be able to tell you more than I can.

Something something alignment :idunno:

Yes the tyres are sh*t, theyre Winda's.

My problem is not that the wheelspin is happening, it's that when it does happen, it's completely unpredictable and uncontrollable.

44 minutes ago, Brad3199 said:

Yes the tyres are sh*t, theyre Winda's.

How is it that cheap arse tyre company/model names just keep getting sh*ttier

@Brad3199 

Turbo or NA? Lsd or not? Auto or manual? Guessing it's a BA with no traction control. 

Decent tyres would be a good idea any case, but if you can, get someone else with a bit of experience to take it for a drive in the wet first.

My bf sedan goes straight af, wet or dry, any speed, any cheap tyre that I always use. 

Probably not relevant or helpful but you never know. 

Edited by Puffwagon
A comma

May be a tired lsd, but I'd still be blaming the tyres.

I found mine would slip out towards the lowest side of the road, eg left lane slides out left, right slides out right.

16 minutes ago, camo86T said:

Turbo or NA? Lsd or not? Auto or manual? Guessing it's a BA with no traction control. 

Decent tyres would be a good idea any case, but if you can, get someone else with a bit of experience to take it for a drive in the wet first.

It's a manual NA BF with what I believe is a single spinner diff. It does have traction control, however it is easy to lose control of this vehicle even with the TC enabled. Put your foot down 1mm too far, and you're sideways. TC or not.

I do plan on upgrading the tyres in the near future, probably to a set of Goodyear. I've had them on a couple of my previous cars and was very happy with them.

Edited by Brad3199

100% it's the tyres if it's a N/A and it's losing traction easily haha. It is a single spinner if it's N/A, too, so that doesn't help, especially with shitty tyres.

@Brad3199 when you say "in a straight line" I presume you're not dumping the clutch....and that you've driven manual for a while

The last time I had an experience like you're describing was probably about 12 years ago, used to happen regularly in the work ute, but that was a trayback 2.7L hilux with sh*tty 185s all round.

Reminds me of my old FG XR6T in the wet - roll-on in pretty much any gear and as soon as it got a whiff of boost the back end jumped out. Good times :wwww: But yes, sounds like it's the tyres.

I've often wondered the same thing. My FG XR6T sedan does the same thing, and it's running near new Goodyear Eagle F1 Directionals - not some dodgy rubbish. When the rear breaks traction it'll snap sideways occasionally. Very, very unpredictable and lightning quick to go. I thought it was normal for LSD... It's not??

To be honest, probably more a reflection of the chassis and overall handling dynamics of the vehicle, than LSD and tyres alone. My Bogan special-R didn't even remotely behave like that - was very much more planted and well behaved.

I only use cheap semis cos nothing lasts longer than 3 months and although the car wants to keep going around when you are doing donuts, it goes straight when you powerskid. At the local track I've had it skidding and sideways but going straight at 140kph with no issues apart from a puckered butt hole.

@k31th asked me how I keep it straight when we went on the cruise and I thought it was an odd question cos you just floor it and steer with a gentle correction every now and then.

It's gotta be a front or rear alignment thing that is causing some cars with lsd's to try and kill ya. I have stiffer blade and diff bushes so that might be a factor?

haha, that question was asked to specifically find out how your own steering corrections are input, if you do anything normally. For me, with powerful falcons with a decent rear-end stiffness setup (just better bushes), going straight is perfectly normal on straight roads with good quality tyres and when they do let go, it doesn't kick. I find they kick when you've got slight lock on the steering wheel and it'll predictably kick out with the centripetal force direction based on the steering angle (or if hte road has obvious camber, it'll kick out on gravity assist from the road camber).

Is this with TC off I assume?? I generally drive with TC on and only turn it off when I "know" I'll need it off. Maybe TC cuts in weirdly on one wheel and the 'free' wheel flicks the car??

Mine is a manual so no powerskids. I recently had a wheel alignment done too...

Edit: Keith's reply above.. Maybe it's road camber that's killing me actually, come to think of it. My rear end is tight and running Nolathane bushes (put in by previous owner)

TC is unpredictable... so I wouldn't rely on it to help other than in scenario's that you really don't want to be out of control and you can simultaneously let go of the steering (or at least no further inputs) and push the brake if necessary (but at least let go of the throttle) and it'll then cut power at the same time you do and that'll probably correct most basic kick situations quickly enough to a state where you can go onwards again.

Yes, if you want to do "spirited driving", of course turn the TC off, but TC stays on otherwise.

I don't bother with tc as it is more predictable when it's off. After a couple of WOT pulls it switches off by itself anyway. You get some pretty good choo choos when it's on in the wet.

11 minutes ago, k31th said:

how your own steering corrections are input, if you do anything normally.

I don't have any magic formula to not losing it. Some cars are easier than others to keep straight.

yep, figured it would be a case-by-case thing. It's the same with me, but often when I'm at about 60deg off where I should be (may be a slight exaggeration), a quick let go of the steering wheel and a letting go of the throttle seems to align the car up again quite quickly and I can putt off without too much trouble :) haha

I have a strict start up procedure that involves turning TC off before reversing out of the driveway, unless I have a passenger who wouldn't appreciate the intent.

In that case I wait until they're looking out the window.