Buying a used g6e turbo with 200,000kms

RLord

• Member For: 10y 26d

Hi all I can’t seem to find the right place on this topic can someone please point me in the right direction or give me some advice. I’m looking at buying a used g6e turbo 2010 50th anniversary edition however it has nearly 200,000kms on the clock, I’ve checked the service history and it seems to have had all regular services up until 165,000kms but hasn’t had anything for the last 30,000kms. It looks like it’s been owned it’s whole life by one owner and he lived in the country in Donald Vic so all those kms would be highway kms I’m assuming. I took it for a test drive the other day and all seemed good there was no clunking from the rear so guessing diff bushes are ok and there was no issues with getting up speed or lurking when changing gears. I guess I’m just about worried that there hasn’t been a service in the last 30,000kms and something is wrong like the dreaded milkshake or even the turbo will require a rebuild can somebody please help

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

They might have serviced it themselves. Ask them about it.

Ask the owner if they'll let a mechanic look over it to allay your specific fears about the gearbox and turbo.

Hi wagon,

It is from a dealer which is supposedly RACV accredited. I told the dealer that the car needs a service and he said they can do one at the dealership along with RWC but I’m just not sure I can trust the dealer looking at faults and fixing them like the transmission if it’s milkshaked or if the turbo needs a rebuild. I’ve read mixed reviews from this dealership so it’s hard to trust. The dealer ship is JD Collins Mornington 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I would take those google reviews with a grain of salt. One person has only left two 1 star reviews and the other person seems to have not told the full story according to the rebuttal.

If you do go ahead and buy it then check your warranty details as sometimes it'll only cover repairs up to a small amount like a grand. That would mean no turbo or trans replacement if they do fail. You'd be picking up the rest of the bill.

You can swap the trans cooler and radiator as soon as you buy it if you're worried and replace the turbo oil feed with an earls kit or the like.

From reading this forum it seems that most stock turbos are failing around the 150xxx km to 250xxx km mark but then again most people are turning up the boost.

I'd go private unless this car is specifically what you want and there is nothing else available. It'll be cheaper. Thems my thoughts for whatever it's worth.

Edit: I just checked scumtree. Apparently private prices are similar. Oh well.

Edited by Puffwagon

Thanks wagon, 

The reason I was looking toward dealer than private is cause I can trade in my currant car so all up for the dealership it would only be a change over of $5000. Yea I read about earls oil turbo line I would definitely get that is that a DIY job installing that? Was thinking I would get a trans cooler as well. Do you think it would need a new radiator though? It looks like the car has been stock all it’s life which is a good thing! Like I said I’m just worried I bought it and straight up would be hit with a new turbo which would be what 2k? And if the trans was cactus that's 5k? I would be planning on having the car for a long time down the track as I love these falcon turbo six’s and heard you can get 500,000kms plus out of them just the turbo would need replacing eventually. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

It probably wouldn't need a  trans cooler but if you're worried about it then it's not too expensive to replace. Nvm what I said about the radiator before. I was having a dumb moment.

It depends on if you do the work yourself but a new core for the turbo is about a thousand dollars and a second hand trans is about $1500.

Thanks wagon for replying and giving me some food for thought.

I just am stuck in a rock and a hard place as I would love to get it but just don’t want it to become a money pit then misses would really lose her sh*t!! Honestly wagon what would you do? Is 200,000kms a money pit that will just require to much to maintain and replace bits because of the high kms? Or does it still have a at least another 100,000kms in it before turbo would need fixing and other mechanical problems.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I can't say whether the car will last forever or break the first time you floor it. It's more likely that suspension components, bushes, wheel bearings and brake rotors will wear out with high km rather than have mechanical failures that stop you in your tracks.

The cars maintenance history should shed some light on what has been replaced. 

@discostig has over 300xxxkm on his car so he might be able to tell you more about what he has replaced. His is a ba or bf though. If it's all highway km then I wouldn't be as concerned.

12 minutes ago, RLord said:

what would you do?

I'd buy a newish turbo diesel 7 seater.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 3d

Over 360,000km now, so that's over 260,000 on this turbo!  

They can be costly to maintain WELL if you do high kms or love to boot it constantly (or both)...if repair costs are an issue for you stick to something with less power that you won't wear out as fast!  Or understand you will need to pay to avoid it turning into a total POS only fit for a teenager to thrash.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...