Buying a used g6e turbo with 200,000kms

RLord

• Member For: 5y 6m 28d

Mine has over 200K kms on it, Basically stock except for replacement turbo approx. 80 thousand k's ago.

I've not ever questioned a price tag on maintaining it to date. Purchased with 70 thousand kms, it has been driven across Australia in heat, cold, slow, fast and towed my boat. I would have no issues selling it onto my mother given its condition. People often spin out when they find out how old it is!.

If the car seems legit and you're serious about it, splurge on an inspection at a mechanical workshop with some knowledge on them for piece of mind.

• Member For: 10y 1m 17d

Hi guys didn’t end up getting that G6E Turbo that had 200,000kms just couldn’t get past the kms it had done. So still looking around for one under 150,000kms have found one that has 110,000kms on it but will see what the final price is. From inspection it looked pretty good however I did notice the pipe from the inter cooler to the turbo looked like it had a fine crack on it and could see the pipe looked a bit rough also the coolant housing had big dirty splotches in it which scared me a bit.

treay81 is yours a FG? 

And what actually happens when the turbo fails? Can you still drive the car with a failed turbo for a little bit? Or you have to get it towed? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

The only failure of a turbo you can't drive with is the oil seals failing - e.g. the engine oil is pumped into the turbo and then either straight out onto the road or out your red-hot exhaust pipe. Other turbo failures where it seizes up etc are fine to drive the car.

• Member For: 5y 6m 28d

Mine is an FG. Its a 2008 model.

Ive towed my boat up the guts of Australia with it and back. Easily one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Its not as quick as my gs, but its a car I can be lazy with when I want and its heaps comfy even though its lowered on 20's.

If I buy another one ill get one that's in need of turbo replacement. Buy cheap factoring in that cost and install a turbo upgrade upfront which saves me money later on.